If you are not so familiar with Linux or Debian, then you can choose to install from ISO. In this case Elastix 5 will install Debian 8 Jessie for you with the correct options, and subsequently install Elastix 5 as well. You can see a list of things that our modified version of Debian does not ask for below.
Installing Debian for Elastix 5
To install Debian for Elastix 5:
- Burn the ISO to bootable medias such as a CD or a USB stick.
- Boot your system with the ISO. Select Install from the main boot screen.
- If you need to configure a static IP address, press Esc when asked for the hostname. You will be taken back to configuring the hostname when you have set the IP address of the system. If you don’t want to set a static IP address, proceed to step 6.
- Select Configure Network Manually to set a static IP address on the system.
- Now enter a hostname for the computer so you can easily identify it on your network.
- Enter a domain name. If this is a network, use the same domain as you use on other computers in the network, for example company.local.
- Now select the language you wish to install.
- Select your geographical location from the location menu.
- Specify the root password for the machine. This account is the equivalent of the administrator account in Windows.
- Confirm the password you have chosen.
- Select your timezone.
- Partition your disk. Select “Guided – use entire disk”.
- Confirm your disk. If you are installing to a bare metal machine remember that all the data on your disk will be erased!
- Select “All files in one partition”.
- Select “Finish partitioning” and write changes to disk. Debian for Elastix 5 will be installed. This can take about 10-20 minutes depending on your machine speed. After that the machine will be rebooted.
- At restart, Elastix 5 will be installed automatically – you don’t need to login. After the installation is complete you will be asked if you want to run the PBX configurator tool from a web browser or from the command line. Select option 1 to use a web browser, and point your browser to http://<ip of machine>:5015.
- Now you go through the wizard. It will detect your IP, ask whether you are behind a NAT and confirm these options with you. You get to choose a subdomain and admin credentials for your PBX. Afterwards you will be presented with a summary page to login to your PBX. Save it and don’t lose it!! Visit this guide for step by step instructions.
Debian for Elastix 5 installs a minimal install of Debian and does not ask the following questions during configuration steps:
- Keyboard settings
- Network interface is preset to auto
- Wireless configuration
- User account creation skipped (only root)
- Package selection list skipped
- Popularity contest for analytics