Yum upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.5.2. Good idea?

Discussion in 'General' started by jandir, May 29, 2009.

1. jandir

I have a 1.3-2 home system with 7 extensions. 2 sip trunks. ENUM. 1 ipkall incoming line. 1 PSTN line coming in to a X100P.com card. The PSTN line is no longer active so I can remove it and the card if needed.

Question: Can I do a yum upgrade to 1.522 safely. I want to upgrade to 1.5.2 without having to reconfigure everything. How do I achieve this in my case?

Thank you

2. dicko

3. DaveD

If 1.3.2 is working fine I would not upgrade at this stage, 1.5 branch is still having a few minor issues

4. donhwyo

If you have a spare hard drive clone it to that and upgrade that one. If it works upgrade the real one or keep it for a while as a spare just in case. If you are not using that card I would take it out unless it is providing a timing source. Not sure how to check for that but Dicko can probably tell us.

Don

5. dicko

donhwyo:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence (deserved or otherwise, I am an empiricist and a pragmatist, a "your karma ran over my dogma" type of guy, nothing more.) Before I change anything, I ask myself the question "Does it work?" and the answer is "If it works, don't mess with it!", if I mess with it anyway and stuff has to be fixed (which is almost inevitable), then the next question to myself is usually "Why did you f**k with it you stupid bastard?"

jandir:
    The X100 pos is not being used probably because it sounded like a pos, feel free to remove it before you upgrade, in fact remove it right now and make sure everything stays working BEFORE you do anything else! (zap_dummy will handle your timing) then remove all references to it as a zap device.

As a pragmatist, I ask again "why upgrade?", if it's not broke don't fix it!.

However, as a fellow stupid bastard:
    If you do upgrade to dahdi (which you will if you go to 1.5) then there is no reason that dahdi_dummy will not handle your timing needs for conferences, MOH etc. well, but there is reason to believe that other things will break, (but they all seem to be fixable, just be forewarned) so take don's advice and have a clone, no, have two, to another hardrive and also to a mondo image available on another machine. Do the upgrade in the dead of Saturday night, have lots of coffee, and leave enough time to apply your pre-prepared fixes, fully test the new system and last but not least, to restore your saved working image if necessary.

I say this not specifically for Elastix but for any concept of upgrading any working system. True, I have broken my rules more than once, which is why I have no hair (but I do have a fire-cracker in my left hand! (If you blow it up then you better be able to build a new one before Monday morning) and I do still seem able to blow thing up!)

6. Lou1z

lol dicko. what a cracking answer!
    definetely mondo it first. not sure about mondo? it simply works! nuked things plenty of times in testing. you can have faith in this program.
    as for the itchy trigger finger...... i suppose we've all got it. plan it beforehand and do it on a weekend as said. keep calm when or if it goes wrong and use this forum and google for solutions if needed.
    everything dicko said is correct and the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it applies"
    however "if it ain't broke, i'm bored and need to tweak things" also applies and you would be advised to get an old clonker of a box to play with and curse!

7. jandir

Thank you guys.

Agreed it is not broken but I have been having this itch to upgrade ever since 1.5 came out mainly to get the new asterisk release.

This mondo thing sounds like too much of work and i do not have a spare hard disk (or two) for now.

Dicko,

You had mentioned in an earlier post that the backup restore option of freepbx works fine in 1.5-2 but it does not restore everything. What exactly does it restore? What will I need to restore manually if I use it?

Thanks

8. dicko

It will restore your asterisk and FreePBX configurations you did with FreePBX (embedded or unembedded), your voicemails, recordings and monitored calls. It will not backup your faxes, users, mail etc. set up in Elastix but outside the FreePBX Modules.

If you just want to update asterisk, try the module panel in Elastix, it might be less disruptive.