Xorcom XR1000 with Snom 320 phones

Discussion in 'General' started by p_heath, Feb 28, 2011.

1. p_heath

Hi,

I'm having a strange issue using a Xorcom XR1000 with FXO ports and Snom 320 phones.

I am able to make calls without issue but when calling external numbers, I get some interference on the line (like a light buzzing noise).

I have tried running the fxotune -i which completes successfully.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks,

2. conduitguy

You don't say what fxo cards you're running. The Snoms can sometimes experience noise, but if it only happens when you make outside calls, it's probably not them. So, my guess is you need to examine your cards and drivers. I see a lot of people on here with card problems due to buying the cheapest card. Interrupts can cause problems. Someone (I think it was Dicko) posted some guidelines for checking and adjusting all that.

3. conduitguy

Well, it pays to read and comprehend. You DID basically say what cards you've got!

I have an old astribank and I had the same problem. My solution was to switch to round file the whole system and start over. I could never sort out whether I was dealing with a driver issue or a lack of horsepower in the little nano pc that came with it or just what was going on. Everything seemed to be running okay, but there was the darn noise. I updated the drivers and it did the same thing. Since switching to a different system, that's no longer a problem. I'm not saying your Xorcom needs to be thrown out, but I could never sort it out.

I'll try to do a better job of reading before posting next time.

4. dicko

It is always suggested that the Astribank be locally frame grounded (earthed), preferably use a water pipe or such low impedance sink, preferably the one on the "Customer Premise Equipment" panel, not jut the local green(/yellow) wire.

A "light buzzing noise" is often caused by a "ground (earth) loop", allowing the 60/50 Hz. line/mains EMF field to be inductively amplified and added to the FXO current loop{s), These FXO circuits should of course not "bleed" to ground. This is all unfortunately old fashioned telephony and physics, stick a high impedance audio tap on the line and see if the buzzing is there anyway.

FXO's are band-pass filtered between 300 and 3000 Hz. but DC paths often spoil your whole day.

dicko

5. conduitguy

That makes sense Dicko. I would never have associated that noise with a ground issue, but that's just the thing about grounding problems, you never know what to expect. I never grounded my little astribank. The ground tab is just a little thing. I guess I never took it seriously! :lol:

I used to call it a digitization noise, but if there's no ground reference, or there are multiple ground paths, then it would make it difficult for the device to do it's job.

I might have to drag that unit out and play with it again.

6. Lee Sharp

Grounding is one of those things that is common, but no one ever thinks about it. I lived in a marina where "ground" was 14.5 volts above the water. I used the "ground" to charge some batteries once. :) But unnoticed, it would cook off your zincs in no time at all.

7. p_heath

Thanks everyone for their replies. Its was actually the box that was the issue!

Another question now though. I am using a Snom 320 which has 12 function keys on the side for extensions. We used to be able to call, transfer and pickup calls using these buttons but currently aren't able to do so.

I appreciate the attended transfer code is *2 and pickup is ** but does anyone know how to incorporate this into the code?

Currently its set to - <sip:20@172.16.0.66;user=phone>|*2 - for attended transfer but does anyone know how to include pickup in this?

Thanks,