Xen + Zaptel in both CentOS 5.2 and 5.1 a no-go

Discussion in 'General' started by loconut, Nov 13, 2008.

1. loconut

I put this in Asterisk since Zaptel is inevitably part of Asterisk. Feel free to move it.

That said, I also apologize if this is re-hashing something, but the posts I found noted the issue but did not resolve it. If a solution is known, I'll be happy to hear it.

I've successfully run Elastix with CentOS 5.1 and 5.2 under VMWare Workstation 6.5 on a Windows XP SP3 32-bit host with an AMD FX-60 64-bit CPU.

I tried to set up Elastix under Xen 3.0.3 (paravirtualized) with a CentOS 5.2 32-bit host (Dell PE2650) and ran into a kernel panic with both CentOS 5.1 and 5.2 running the kernel-xen that was recommended in the how-to. I haven't been able to capture the exact panic because the system toasts the VNC link too fast.

I tried re-compiling the zaptel module to the same effect. If I boot with another kernel that doesn't have Zaptel, everything boots fine, but of course, no zaptel. I don't need any Zaptel card support, but was under the impression the dummy timing thing was important.

Has anyone come up with a solid solution/combination of kernel and zaptel and xen 3.0.3 (paravirt) to make things work?

2. naderp

same probleme here... and I'm puzzled because I've even tried a known working kernel/zaptel combination and that fails too.:S

Some people have suggested passing a PCI card clock timing sourcebut that's not an option for me as I want a pure VoIP setup.

I'm willing to give anything else a go if anyone has any suggestions - cheers

Here's the kernel dump, hpoing it sheds some light:

3. seaq

I'm taking the same trouble. I've installed Elastix 1.3 on a Xen VM, and it works fine except zaptel and ztdummy.

When I start the Xen machine Elastix with zaptel active, the system crashes inmediately. I've deactivated zaptel with "chkconfig zaptel off" and i've rebooted the system; and it boots without problems.

I found a possible solution for this issue in the following link:

http://www.odindev.com/troubles-zaptel- ... n-asterisk

Thanks for your help.

4. seaq

Yes;

Zaptel, and ztdummy, are working successfully on my VM Xen Elastix after to apply the link's instructions.

:-]

5. a_villacis

6. bucasia

7. torontob

Are there any instructions posted on how to install Elastix on Amazon Ec2? I have noticed the Voxilla post as well for vanilla Asterisk. However, I am wondering if Amazon even provides a reliable system?

Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks,
    Bruce