WMM Wi-Fi MultiMedia

pnaves

Hi, Folks,

Anyone do able the router functionality WMM Wi-Fi MultiMedia?
I know that this property would be beneficial to voip traffic, but when I able this option the quality of calls down dramatically.
Why is it happen?

Chilling_Silence

Because WiFi is half-duplex only, calls via it will never be the best. My thoughts anyways ...

Amphibian

First: check to see if your unit is "Power Save Certified", if it is change it out for one that isn't or turn that function off. These type of units were designed to control the amount of power it consumes when used as portable device. They send packets differently thus causing your audio quality to be low and Qos is/can be affected.

Do a search on Google or some where like that for how to properly set one up for VoIp, these units as a rule are very usable/stable when used for VoIp. If you are using it for more than just VoIp, get another one and use it strictly for VoIp. In addition, make sure you use the same brand of WWM Adapter as is your WWM Access Point.

William

fmvillares

well everything depends on saturation, distance, standard and brand of your wmm equipment...
for instance a simple 11g network has only about 27 mb per sec of throughput and thats a hub like network all bandwith is shares among users...if you have wmm enable, all equipment using the net that is not wmm enable will be penalized...also as some guys correctly said power saving functions also affect...

solutions...use 1 ssid and wifi vlan for voip and others for data (most good ap´s has this function)
2 use wmm only if all your important equipment is wmm enabled (linux drivers, windows drivers, mac driver and ap)
3 if possible use 11n networks the throughput is almost 9mbytes per sec in 150 mode and almost 14, megs in 300mode...that up 5 times the max speed of 11g

im using broadcom and atheros 11n cards in my laptops and i have a cisco wrvs4400 11n wifi router and is working like a charm using about 10 pc in my office attached to wifi permanently, not counting sec cams 1 wii a ps3 for fun and wifi printers that lays in a separate wifi vlan in the same router
best regards

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mai Tuyen