Will Elastix run will under OpenVZ?

Discussion in 'General' started by jim.thornton, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jim.thornton

Here is the server that I have:
    Quad Core (Xeon) 2.4ghz
    4 GB ram
    500GB (x2 - RAID setup for duplication)

I want to setup an Elastix VPS that I will be able to do the following:
    1. Setup a local phone system.
    2. Setup remote extensions for salespeople that I hire.
    3. I would like to have a "follow me" function. Meaning that the caller can press "#" to connect with the salesperson and the system will automatically call their cell phone. With individual mailboxes.
    4. I would like to track how many minutes per month a sales person uses when a call comes in on a 1-800 number to bill them accordingly.
    5. I would like to setup a virtual fax. Would like to assign fax numbers to that number and have all incoming faxes email to that salesperson.
    6. Call recording would be nice but not critical

I would also like to setup a VPS that would be setup with webmin/virtualmin. I will be using this vps to create separate hosting accounts. The hosting accounts will only be used for SugarCRM. I don't want this co-mingled with the Elastix box because there will be multiple accounts and I want them on their own hosting plans (not sharing one installation of SugarCRM).

Will my system be good enough to handle this?? I don't anticipate a TON of vistors to the SugarCRM installations at first. If it got to the point where it was too much, I would get a dedicated server for just the SugarCRM installs.

Just need some input on this please.

2. rafael

I know that people from this forums manage to run Elastix using openvz, search in the forums. In the other hands you could also try to use XEN for virtualization.

There are plenty companies doing what you whant to:

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... _providers

regards,

rafael

3. jim.thornton

I've been doing more research and it looks like I might go with XEN for the virtualization software.

However, I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the phone service.

Will it be acceptable under virtualization?

4. rafael

I think so. At least with XEN you would have some where around 3% to 8% of performance loss over using it on the machine. So I guess your equipment is just right for your needs. Anyway, the best way to prove this is by testing.

Good luck ;)

Regards,

Rafael

5. jworm

Jim,
    I was in the same boat with you, kvm or xen. I got my system up and running on Xen with no problems, then I decided to give Proxmox VE a try. Slick interface, kvm or OpenVZ vm's, integrated java vnc console. I'm very impressed with it. Check it out, http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

-john