Why is Cyrus user running imap and pop3 events?

torontob

Hi Everyone,

I have a security concern. I do not use this Elastix server for IMAP/POP3. Other than getting mail on the root, it's not being used for mailserver at all.

But I see many attempts of the user Cyrus in /var/log/secure and /var/log/messages

Aug 5 20:38:28 elastix runuser: pam_unix(runuser-l:session): session opened for user cyrus by (uid=0)
Aug 5 20:38:29 elastix runuser: pam_unix(runuser-l:session): session closed for user cyrus
Aug 5 20:38:38 elastix su: pam_unix(su-l:session): session opened for user asterisk by (uid=0)
Aug 5 20:38:38 elastix su: pam_unix(su-l:session): session closed for user asterisk

What is really going on and what does the user Cyrus do? How to disable it totally without any ramifications?

Thanks

dicko

chkconfig postfix off
chkconfig cyrus-imapd off

service postfix stop
service cyrus-imapd stop

if you don't want to see them in your logs.
However "mail" to root then might or might work depending on how it was sent.

torontob

Thanks for the input Dicko.

This is an Elastix system. Of course I don't want any troubles on the system. But the security logs regarding Cyrus concern me. So, I would turn them off, provided I know for sure that system functions such as sending mail to root is not tampered.

Any firm feedback?

Thanks

torontob

Thanks for the input Dicko.

This is an Elastix system. Of course I don't want any troubles on the system. But the security logs regarding Cyrus concern me. So, I would turn them off, provided I know for sure that system functions such as sending mail to root is not tampered.

Any firm feedback?

Thanks

dicko

They are nothing to worry about, just the daemons doing their normal thing, if you are concerned about security/access from outside, and still want to have errors delivered by email on the box itself, I suggest you comment out (or perhaps just change the port of) the inet line in

/etc/postfix/master.cf

leave in the 127.0.0.1:25 (localhost)

and issue a

postfix reload

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manuelc