Why install all the different packages??

Discussion in 'General' started by yesmat, Oct 31, 2009.

1. yesmat

Hi,

Whey when we are installing Elastix 1.5.2 we are given the choice of packages to install? example PostgreSQL, sounds and video, FTP server, web server, development tools etc....

By default they are all "ticked". Do we have to have them all installed for elastix to function properly?

If not, then which ones can we "untick" from that list?

One more question:

After a successful install, are we recommended to run "yum update", which will update EVERYTHING? or are we better off updating Elastix only by running "yum update elastix"?

Thanks

2. yesmat

Any one?

3. Bob

Bob

I generally leave them all ticked.

From what i remember, the default choices that are ticked are all required, but I haven't checked recently.

I believe that it is mainly in there to allow the more advanced users to remove packages that they definitely won't be using, especially if they are trying to install in smaller prototyping type systems.

If you are installing from ISO, it is recommended that unless you know of a fault, that you leave it at that point. YUM updates can affect the stability of the system (of some sort of compatibility issue arises).

If you remain at the ISO without performing updates, should you have an issue, you are likely to have many others that you can compare to, and many others could replicate your issue knowing exactly what build level you are at.

Regards

Bob

4. yesmat

Hi,

By default all the packages are ticked. Example of packages that are not required (in my opinion):

-PostgreSQL
    -FTP server (unless you have a cron that's FTPing backup files remotely)
    -Voice and Video, which I believe has nothing to do with Asterisk voice prompts or CODECs etc...
    -Mail Server. By default, CentOS installs SendMail. Elastix uses Postfix.
    others...

I guess it comes down to trying a test install without some of these packages and see if it will operate normally.

In regards to yum update. I am used to running "yum update elastix", which only updates to the latest elastix install and leaves the rest untouched.

Thanks for your reply.