which router do you suggest

Discussion in 'General' started by ashir24, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ashir24

Hi
    Which router do you suggest to run behind asterisk/elastix.
    I have been using linksys and the problem i am facing is on RTP ports.
    sometimes the voice is gone (one side mostly). If i just disable to port forwarding (RTP 10000-20000) and enable it back everything works fine.
    I have tried with thomson , netgear etc. they all not giving good results.

which one do you guys things better ?? btw, all the issues only if i use remote sip extensions.
    as i told you linksys works perfect but the only problem is every few days you have to re enable the RTP port forwarding.

regards

2. Kalama Sutra

Hi Ashir24,

I'll probably get smacked here for good reason ... hehehe ...

"Which router do you suggest to run behind asterisk/elastix."

My question back to you is this, are you running ISP -> elastix box -> router -> other stuff ?

-- Or --

am I miss reading, and you are actually from your ISP -> router (which ever brand) -> elastix box AND other stuff ?

Secondly, are you DMZ - ing to your elastix computer ? Are your remote SIP extensions coming in via a real IP address, or are you in some way doing a VPN such that they are within your internal network ( ie. 10.10.xxx.xxx / 192.168.xxx.xxx sort of things ) ?

Third, if Not DMZ - ing , have you gotten a good set up on port forwarding to your elastix box ?

Don't know if these questions will help you; but I'll be waiting to see response from the whiskers out there.

Regards,

Jim

ps. here I get kicked in the knees ... old PIII / PIV computer ... additional NIC's ... FLOSS Firewall/Router; start your life in another realm of forums out there.

3. milauria

I have tried many of these brand and I ended up with a Draytek Vigor model which is rock solid and fully configurable for QoS...