WHEN a new version of Elastix with Asterisk 1.6???

Discussion in 'General' started by baguala, Jan 20, 2009.

1. baguala

I want to know when a new veriosn of Elastix with Asterisk 1.6 is comming?
    Are you working with that???

It would be great having that version. Asterisk 1.6 is great. Elastix too!!
    Merge them!!!

2. rafael

Asterisk 1.6 is not plan for the short term.

3. Chilling_Silence

Most people dont *need* asterisk-1.6 so pretty much across the board its getting low-priority in terms of "prepackaged distributions"

4. Bob

Bob

Personally,

I don't think it is worth rushing to 1.6 just yet. As many are aware, one of the main benefits is the SIP over TCP. For some this is important based on their current integration needs.

However in their effort to implement this, many are describing the SIP implementation as broken (just look at google for the words "SIP BROKEN ASTERISK 1.6". Some of the posts are upto last week.

Also you could read the following link to get a bigger picture
    http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/aster ... 34830.html

Now without sounding like the doomsayer, it is not all that bad and many have 1.6 running testing SIP over TCP, however there are enough reports pointing to issues with SIP as a whole in 1.6.

This should not stop progress in moving towards 1.6, but we should not be racing into it to get a release out. We have enough on the plate that needs to be improved and corrected in Elastix and I think time would be more wisely spent at least in the short term on correcting these issues.

Also, with a possible Freeswitch/Freepbx possibly on the horizon, putting a large amount of work into 1.6, when the rest of the world starts looking seriously at Freeswitch/Freepbx combination with its clearly though out XML based configs and interfacing (which would suit the Elastix system better), may be not warranted. (this last paragraph is speculation, but it needs to be considered and be aware of what can be round the corner)

Anyhow, just my thoughts...

Regards

Bob

5. Chilling_Silence