What's the best way to install to flash disk?

Discussion in 'General' started by christ0ph, Oct 2, 2009.

1. christ0ph

I have a Geode NX based low power system with a 4GB internal IDE solid state disk, and I'm hoping to install Elastix to it.

What are the differences between installing to a solid state disk and a regular one, in order to minimize writes to the filesystem?

My particular disk is rated at 1,000,000 writes- seems like a lot- but its still finite- I want it to be reliable.

2. dwells

I used the same geode chipset, to embed Trixbox (sorry Elastix) Love'm Both...For different reasons.

I used an IDE-CF adaptor as Primary Master(IN a seperate PC; NO OTHER HDD's at all- set adaptor to master), and installed directly to the Flash Drive.
    Once installed, and (before) it reboots for the first time...power off, remove the drive and insert it into the geode chipset mainboard again.

Technically it's embedded and ready for the real first boot, but this time it will install using that mainboard (for probing and installing drivers) rather than the initial computer used.

If you try to install any OS (I think) it fails funny. Same for DOCs and DOMs... I think it's because that CF drive is hard coded as a slave or something(even if you change all BIOS settings, it's funny). I was banging my head against everywall I could find, before figuring out how to embed it first...

Hope that helps...

-dwellsy

3. christ0ph

Thank you, that is a GREAT tip that would probably help installing Linux in a lot of situations, not just with elastix!

:)

What features do you prefer in trixbox in the situations where you prefer that?

Just curious.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can ..

4. Chilling_Silence

I installed on a 4GB CF Card with the Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard. Long story short, it's a *ton* of writes, but a few things come to mind:

Disable the Asterisk logging
    Set noatime on the / partition
    Be careful not to fill the drive with Voicemails / Recordings / MOH etc
    Logging of CDRs if it's a BIG system, but because you're using something like a 500MHz Geode, it'll never handle terribly many concurrent calls

Other than that, just go for it, most things use RAM / CPU, rather than the HDD :)

5. ramoncio

You could also create a ramfs to store the most frequently written files, as logs. But you need to have enough ram to handle it.

6. dwells

It's more of a comfort thing, I raised myself through AAH, AAW, then from the inauguration of Trixbox through others and back. I like the way it feels I guess. I know where everything is, and how it should be reacting in most cases. It has a slightly smaller footprint when fully installed, and is wrapped with less stuff. TB Forums also has a slightly larger community to talk about solutions.

Elastix has more stuff ready to go OOtB (Out-Of-the-Box). Which in most cases is better, as I now use most of it. It also has vunderbar things like IAXmodem + Hylafax, CRM integration, IM Server, as a few and a much nicer Dashboard, that houses everything the box can do plus more right in your face! I'm not sure which reporting interface / features I'm sold on yet.. they both offer great views. So it depends i guess...(for the geode install i used TB; sorry)

I hope I didn't offend any avid users from one side of the fence or another. I like'em both!
    -dwellsy