what's the best way to handle multiple locations?

Discussion in 'General' started by speedy3k, Apr 7, 2010.

1. speedy3k

I'm thinking about deploying elastix to multiple locations, however I have a few questions that I can't seem to find good documentation on. lets used the following example

All site are within the same area code
    WAN is provided via point to point t1
    All inbound/outbound calls are provided by a pri located at Main Site A
    Main Site A (50 users)
    Remote Site B(20 users)
    Remote Site C( 20 users)

Goals,
    Centralized voice mail located at Main Site A
    Centralized company directory at Main Site A
    centralized management or extension management Main Site A
    all interoffice calls within each site, stays within that site. for example, if Bob and Joe as both located as Site B, I don't want the call going over the WAN (B->A->B).
    site to site calling by extension (B->C)

would opensip/openser for the remote sites,and a single elastix box at the main site? OR would I need an elastix box as each site?

How is everyone else doing multiple site and locations? How are you managing it?
    Thanks

2. Siu

Siu

I have experience linked 40 sites use 40 Elastix box and use IAX trunk and dial plan for each site.

3. dicko

In you scenario, That's a no-brainer

the clue is
    All inbound/outbound calls are provided by a pri located at Main Site A

So just one box at "Main Site A" and all extensions register to it.

If you don't use VOIP for outbound calls just use it internally, only one box needed (not 40, so SIU you get to put your 20K investment back on the shelf for "the next time" ;) )

If you want to save bandwidth between offices, just allow canreinvite on all "endpoints" and all you problems are over (until the network goes down anyway :) )

dicko

4. speedy3k

a single box at Site A would meet alot of my requirements, but how are calls handled at the remote sites? If an interoffice call from Site B to another users at the same site is made, would it go B ----> A ----> B ? I would like interoffice calls to stay within the same LAN , B ----> ? ----> B. My goal is to keep bandwidth down and management as easy and centralized as possible. Thanks again for your input.

5. dicko

I guess you missed the:

If you want to save bandwidth between offices, just allow canreinvite on all "endpoints" and all you problems are over (until the network goes down anyway )

bit

6. speedy3k

sorry, I saw that. I'm still pretty green and didn't know what "canreinvite" meant. Maybe that should have been my follow up question, but I was going to google it first!