Whats the best Soft Phone for operators?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tom, May 30, 2009.

1. Tom

Tom

Hi!

What do you think is the best soft phone for operators? I like the trixbox HUD but it had tons of bad feedback so diden dare try it out.. Currently im using 3cx softphone but it cant manage queues and extensions like the way HUD does... is there any other alternative, one that does not require server installation or is easy for a noob like me to do? FOP is great, but it lacks permissions based users... anybody i give access to can barge a call or hang up another person's call, so its abit risky...

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    T

2. dicko

Tom:

There is an enormous amount of configuration and customization that can be done with FOP other than the vanilla page that comes pre-packaged

http://www.asternic.org

is its home planet, it is easy to build panels with a couple hundred agents and queues as read only and as many custom password protected panels as you care for. Once you get how the layout works, the world's your oyster.

3. alang

4. Tom

Tom

Thx for the replies!

Dicko, the the problem with FOP is every user is treated equally, so whatever i set for admin is also offered for any other user if they have access to FOP, which is quite risky...
    esp the call barging feature.. Btw, i've been looking at their site for awhile, but i dont get anything on the customization! i cant find the files needed to change when i try a search in the elastix server's search...

Alan, Thx i'll try out that software, but they dont seem to have any pricing on their site... i hope its not too expensive... any idea how much it costs?

Any more suggestions on alternatives?

Thx!
    Tom

5. dicko

You won't find your customised files until you create them.
    If you followed the documentation that would be files like
    op_buttons_readonly.cfg
    op_buttons_secure_one.cfg
    op_buttons_secure_two.cfg
    etc. in FOP'S webroot /var/www/html/panel

6. jgibson

I just installed ASTassistant, www.astassistant.com, in something like 10 mins. It is client only. There is no server software to install. The only think that I needed to do to get it to work was to make a manager user name and password in freePBX.

7. Tom

Tom

Gibson, Well tat is def a good tool, but i coulden get it to work to call anybody, making me this it diden hav tat feature! Were u able to make it call?

8. jgibson

Yeah I can call from it no problem. The program can be used to dial a call but you will need some kind of phone to make the call.

9. rollinsolo

I am having trouble getting AST assistant to connect to my system, I downloaded the windows client to my pc, added a manager in the api, and copied the settings over trying every variation of ip/subnet I could to get it to work and no luck, I cannot see extensions or make calls from the Ast as well. Any help would be appreciated.

10. dicko

FWIW:

I deployed FOP2 on a a small server today, with the (immediate and successful (5 minutes)) help of Nicolas (asternic) as to getting over my own stupidity (note to self: RTFM!! . . twice!!! ) it is in my opinion almost flawless (English spelling within the compiled code, the only quibble so far)) , while not a soft-phone in itself. it is without doubt an order of magnitude better than FOP(1) (maybe two better than the competition), true it cost 40 bucks (I have need to monitor more than 15 endpoints) but it is the best $40 I spent all day.

(I am rarely effusive, in this case I make an exception, Thanks Nicolas for a great product that can only get better)

Dicko

11. Bob

Bob

Dicko,

Thanks, now I feel better, I am not the only one that did not RTFM properly.

Actually the issue comes down to concepts, what you have been used to. Your mind builds a picture from what you read and what you know about other products....this is where it goes wrong...

Nicolas via his web chat also helped out to resolve this issue

Regards

Bob