What is the latest hardward 2.0 should work on?

Mathiau

I am looking to build a new Elastix box, likely with a new Quad Xeon 5 series or even an AMD quad / 6 core.

I wanted to know what is the latest hardware that Elastix will support out of the box with out my need to compile anything, since i have no clue how?

what kernal is it based on? i have one box that centos 5.5 installed on fine so wanted to get similar hardware.

dicko

Unfortunately for us Elastix doesn't use the Centos boot syslinux image it is based on to boot the installation cd, just a subset of it's network and hard drive subsystem drivers are included, so if you don't feel comfortable with adding drivers be very conservative and check these fora for especially your required network driver.

Maybe they will fix that someday, but please don't hold your breath, it's been over two years three versions and 4 updates to Elastix 2.0 yet, go figure . . . .

fmvillares

Re: Re:What is the latest hardward 2.0 should work on?

agreed totally with dick

Mathiau

Elastix team will need to get on top of keeping up with hardware if they want to grow in the market, people who have large needs on a PBX dont want to be buying 5 year old hardware to run the system ons because it becomes harder to buy replacement parts.

if the rest of the pbx world can run on newer hardware, i don\t see why Elastix shouldn't be able to as well.

fmvillares

well lets analyze...
"people who have large needs on a PBX" mmm that kind of customers dont really need 5 years old servers as centos 5.5 or redhat enterprise 5 supports all major servers only tweaking a few drivers...
if anyone installing a pbx based on asterisk not know how to do this well ...IMHO they should need to seek for other job as they dont has the skills needed to do the job

dicko

Mathiau:

I absolutely 100% totally agree, unfortunately Elastix/PaloSanto in the last two years seem to not be able to do that, go figure, all such complaints have been already lodged in the bug-tracker, the dev's list and the defunct beta testers list over that period, there are no appropriate replies in any of them, please wait another two years maybe. . . .

(that was another cross fire to PaloSanto, they continue to ignore their user base. There will unlikely be any response from them , they just don't come here, or apparently care, this is a historical fact, not just my personal frustration)

This also perhaps a personal challenge for jgutierrez to respond , he claims to be from PaloSanto support and is the only one who actually has the "eggs" to post here, or perhaps to actually read these fora, I await his response but not with much hope . . . .

regards

dicko

Mathiau

fmvillares said:
well lets analyze...
"people who have large needs on a PBX" mmm that kind of customers dont really need 5 years old servers as centos 5.5 or redhat enterprise 5 supports all major servers only tweaking a few drivers...
if anyone installing a pbx based on asterisk not know how to do this well ...IMHO they should need to seek for other job as they dont has the skills needed to do the job

I know those kinds of customers do not need 5 year old hardware,You are not understanding me, that is because CentOS runs on brand new out of the box hardware with no driver tweaking, or compiling of drivers into the kernal.

No one in this day in age should need to compile drivers into a kernal, period.

I installed Centos 5.5 x64 on a socket 1366 Xeon system with an Adaptec 3805 raid card - all drivers were installed and the box was up and running.

For you to judge peoples skills because they can not compile a driver into an OS is naive. I have the skills to run a PBX system and CentOS servers, i have never had to compile drivers because CentOS includes them. It is like saying that someone running windows should know how to write drivers if they cant find them already.

The issue here is simple, Elastix does not update their core system with recent hardware and that will be a downfall of their product for people if it comes down to that choice.

I dont want to have to go Ebay.com to buy a 5 year old dell server in order to run Elastix that comes with no warranty or support, i want to be able to go to dell.com or HP.com, or build my own server and know that Elastix will install and work, and there is NO reason it shouldn't except the developers have not bothered to truely update anything in the core providing new hardware support.

Thank you though for telling me i dont have the kills to do my job because elastix driver base is ancient, when all other versions of PBX's and Linux can easily be installed on todays latest hardware, real mature of you.

fmvillares

i undestand u matthiau but again not know how to tweak a driver is like being a mechanic and not knowing how to tune an engine...period...
its up to u to know up to what point u need to learn...and im engineer and i solve problems and to solve problems i need to know many things and the things i dont know instead of yalling at some guys...i try to learn
of course agrreed with dick that the iso from elastix has not the same drivers of centos but im runnign several 2.0 installs in six core xeons with fibre channels with 0 trouble also..
but its not a critic...palosanto has made major mistakes...but again most asterisk experts know how to resolve them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mai Tuyen