WHAT IS PROVEN SET UP FOR HYLAFAX UNDER ELASTIX?

MGG

I am having trouble setting up a hylafax that works.

Could someone out there please tell me if they think there is a bug stopping me from getting a sent fax to surface in the fax viewer or to the nominated email address. Fax goes through fine at senders end. Fax goes into a black hole.

Below is my version information

Kernel
Linux(i386)-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5

Elastix
elastix-2.0.0-58
elastix-firstboot-2.0.0-14
elastix-fax-2.0.0-18
elastix-reports-2.0.0-20
elastix-pbx-2.0.0-41
elastix-asterisk-sounds-1.2.3-1
elastix-vtigercrm-5.1.0-8
elastix-system-2.0.0-38
elastix-email_admin-2.0.0-23
elastix-agenda-2.0.0-24
elastix-a2billing-1.3.0-4
elastix-addons-2.0.0-19

RounCubeMail
RoundCubeMail-0.3.1-5

Mail
postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2
cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3

IM
openfire-3.5.1-2

FreePBX
freePBX-2.7.0-9

Asterisk
asterisk-1.6.2.13-0
asterisk-perl-0.10-2
asterisk-addons-1.6.2.1-0

FAX
hylafax-4.3.9-0rhel5
iaxmodem-1.2.0-1.1

DRIVERS
dahdi-2.3.0.1-3
rhino-0.99.3-2.beta2
wanpipe-util-3.5.14-0

Cheers MGG

Lee Sharp

MGG

Thank you Lee.

I would love to get my Elastix Hylafax working. As I have it working on anouther version 2 system with no problems. I have duplicated all the setting and it does not work. THAT IS WHY I BELEIVE WE HAVE A BUG.

Yes I read that string myself last night and I tried it and it did not work for a yum updated version of Elastix 2 ( see above) I have.

OK you Guros out there....Here is a teaser for you....

1. I have configured all in the free PBX Fax Config
2. I have T38 passthrough setup in SIP config in FreePBX
3.I am running Ulaw & G729 codecs
4. I have an AIX2 extension set up for my fax
5. I have set up the Elastix Hylafax Virtual fax pointin to the AIX extension
6. I have an inbound route with the DID pointing to the FAX RECIPIENT extension not the FAX EXTENSION (under extensions) destination
7. The pdf faxs are getting through to a directory " var/spool/asterisk/fax " BUT BUT.. not sending the email with attachment and not showing up in the Fax Viewer in the Elastix "Fax TAB"

HELP HELP HELP....... I am just a mere mortal.....Cheers MGG

Lee Sharp

Just posting to let you know that I got no clue... I just hate it when my questions sit there and you get no response at all.

Bob

Lee,

You have no idea....

I had a look at the system this morning, I have no idea..... B)

It looks like something has broken especially with the latest Yum update of Hylafax...

All mechanical function is working, eg Faxgetty is negotiating with Fax machine....but fax fails....furthermore the Fax visor is not updating when it commences the receive.

Now I say this with qualification as Mark had enabled all of the Freepbx faxing capability as well, so this might have an impact(I wouldn't think so however)

Before we submit it as a bug report, we need to confirm someone with a clean system (e.g. has not played around with the Freepbx faxing options) but has updated via Yum to latest version of Hylafax (I suspect the update is about 1-1.5 months old), and is having the same issues...

Can anyone confirm similar issues with latest update to Hylafax???

Regards

Bob

dicko

You guys might want to look at the script here

http://projects.colsolgrp.net/projects/afax

written by Joe Roper of a2billing fame It will install the more functional Avantfax but not do anything for the Elastix Fax sub-system the devs could easily shirt-tail the process however . (yeah, I know he's a limey/pommie , but so am I ) and a little pbxinaflash/fonetica biased and a little non Elastix friendly you will have to mess with the httpd rewrite configs , the script is easily understandable and modifiable.

It will effectively create 4 iax2 modems, and the corollary hylafax files/inittab entries, logging behaviour, permissions and ownerships, iax2 ports etc. necessary, yopu might want to change refresh 300 to refresh 60 to reduce the noise in your logs.

Us NANP guys will still have to edit rh-prefs.txt to suit our paper, some of you will want to do the same for your time/date locales, language and other prefs.

Although I don't have any experience with Elastix 2.0 in a production environment, it seems quite functional on my crash test dummy boxen. (Elastix 2.0.whatever IMHO is still not still not yet fully functional as a turnkey system ;) , true, it doesn't crash so much (if you don't yum update the lastest iso), but the dummies still get more than a little bloodied by the domain/email/imap/cyrus/conference/call-center/call-monitoring functions)

JM2CWAE

dicko

MGG

Hey Bob,

Do you understand what Dico is talking about here, because I am completely lost ( a dummy as I am)does it help my cause, just to get Hylafax working again on my yum updated version of 2.0.2 32 bit.

Cheers MGG

trymes

Unless I am mistaken, dicko is referring to setting up AvantFax, which IIRC is a front-end for Hylafax that makes it easier to use. From the linked page "A-Fax is a script designed to install and assist in configuration of the combined Avantfax Hylafax software suite."

Anyhow, I am willing to bet, dollars to donuts, that your problem lies with the t.38. In my limited experience, t.38 works, except for when it does not. HylaFAX on 2.0 has worked right out of the box for us, and, frankly, HylaFAX is such a solid piece of software that I sincerely doubt any issues you have are related to HylaFAX (We've been running it for longer than Asterisk, beginning with analog modems).

Personally, I do update HylaFAX by removing the Elastix packages and installing the RPMs from hylafax.org. If possible, try reducing the modem speed (I think there's a way to do that in the IAXModem config), and also try using a copper line. If the copper line works, then the problem lies with your SIP/t.38 config.

Tom

dicko

Indeed, it will update hylafax to a less rusty version, set up Avantfax which is a far more functional HTML based front end, make it all work, and as trymes suggests, hylafax is rock solid and for me has worked 4x9 or better for years over SIP and TDM trunks, with and without Asterisk, it will however possibly break Elastix' fax offering, that IMHO is not a bad thing, seriously guys, that Elastix frontend never worked very well anyway did it? ;) ramoncio developed an rpm that was similar to this script that worked very effectively in Elastix 1.? unfortunately it was discarded as Elastix was "improved" back in August.

dicko

gl1176

I have spent some time on getting this setup. I have it working fine in one scenario only, that is IAX modem will only work with DAHDI hardware, and not trancode to SIP T38.

The setup is easy and must only be done through the GUI, no raw text config, unless you can think outside the box. I have both inbound to email and outbound "print to fax" faxing working.

I originally wanted to get Hylafax to work with SIP T38. After many hours of debugging Asterisk and SIP T38 faxing with a compliant SIP T38 gateway hooked up to POTS PSTN, Asterisk could not renegotiate to T38 when using an IAX modem.

For my setup, we have an Elastix setup just for faxing to/from the POTS PSTN. We have another Elastix PBX for the phones on a SIP trunk to the PSTN.

If we could change the modem to T38 modem in Elastix, I think we could have a fully compliant T38 Hylafax solution. I send hours trying to get this to work too, but gave up on it.

Here is a link on T38 modem:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/T38m ... h+Asterisk

fmvillares

Re: Re:WHAT IS PROVEN SET UP FOR HYLAFAX UNDER ELASTIX?

hey guys...the elastix version this guy have is not the latest...i have the same issues long time before..a simple yum upgrade (that upgrades all my elastix modules (elastix-fax-admin etc) solved this issue after installing all them and asterisk 1.6.2.13...
also there is a known issue with hylafax & iaxmodem with iax jitter buffer activation
with iax jitter buffer active no faxes get passed...just disabling again iax jitter buffers and voila perfect again....

gl1176

Mensaje, are you saying that I am running an old version of Elastix/Asterisk.

When I set this up I was using Elastix 2.02 running Asterisk Version 1.6.2.10. Ever since asterisk version 1.6, supposedly it supports full T38 termination and origination, but it's still buggy.

This is basically what I was getting when trying to setup a SIP T38 call from IAX modem:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16327#c114690

Here is the what I found during testing: PSTN T38 gateway receives RING on an incoming FAX call, sets up g711 call to asterisk, asterisk answers, gateway answers PSTN, gateway hears FAX tone, gateway renegotiates from G711 to T38 with asterisk, asterisk sends 200 trying to gateway, then a few seconds later asterisk sends "488 Not acceptable here" and FAX fails when trying with G711.

If you are telling me you have IAX modem working so that it can use Asterisk successfully to setup a SIP T38 origination/termination, please post the fix to Asterisk/Elastix here on the forum.

Thanks,
Gil

MGG

Hi Guys

Looks Like this is going around and around and around.

I tested this on the Stable Version Elastix Stable Version 2.0.3 (nov) Distribution with SIP T38 passthrough with Hylafax , untill I was blue in the face. Its broken Guys!!! Please fix it, I am not as bright as some of your guys. I am not a programmer, but I know enough to know it is broken. It has caused me greif with a customer where i ported his fax number into DID. I did this because my earlier distribution that I use in my own office,worked fine with SIP (T38 Passthrough) and Hylafax.

Instead of moving onto new technologies and even asterisk 1.8, I think we should get everthing working in a known stable version befor we venture on. Slow down and consolidate or we will loose it, Guys.

Kind Regards
MGG

fmvillares

1ss of all asterisk 1.6 doesnt have complete support for t38...only 1.8 has it...
2nd iax is not sip and is not t38 compliant...so iax modem is not ever close to a t38 solution and totally different......
3er...you re using 1.6.2.10...well its old 7 months old...1.6.2.17 is the latest so yes maybe an update could help if you havent seen a clue yet because hyla and iax when correctly configured simply works

MGG

OK

I purchased a new duo machine (PC) for test benching yesterday.

I will give this one more go.

I will install the latest stable version and yum update it and test it and will let everyone know then.

The last stable version (distribution) I tested without yum updating it was Elastix Ver 2.0.3 (Nov 2010)

As I was the one that started this string, I hope to end it successfully.

This Hylafax is one of the great selling features of the system. It is a shame that so many users (be it newbies or otherwise) have been having so much trouble with it.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Cheers

T0t3nK0pf

I have Elastix 2.0.2 linked by SIP trunk with Alcatel OmniPCX Office.(g711 framing 20ms)
Scenario is
IN
POTS-->Alcatel OXO-SIP->Elastix HylaFax (IAX modem)
OUT
HylaFax (IAX)-SIP->OXO-->POTS

With fax setting on T38 on Alcatel and Elastix with or w/o T38 passthrough I was not able to send or receive a fax. Like gl1176 I also had "488 not acceptable" in incoming scenario.

I switched fax mode on g711 on Alcatel and now I have no problem.

Maybe this will help somebody in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
achilont13