What is OSSEC and is it something we should use?

Discussion in 'General' started by wiseoldowl, Mar 5, 2009.

1. wiseoldowl

Aug 19, 2008
    Please remember that I'm the guy who tries to stay out of the guts of Linux as much as possible, so a lot of you will be more qualified to comment on this than I, but since nobody else has raised this here yet I thought I would.

There is a new distribution out called FonicaPABX, which I will not generally comment on other than to point out that if you look at their FonicaPABX-Install wiki page and scroll all the way to the bottom, they say this:
    And after that there are some clear installation instructions for this that look like they might also be applicable to other FreePBX-based distributions, though I don't know that for a fact. What I really found interesting was this:
    The obvious questions:

It this something we could install under Elastix?

Is this something we SHOULD install under Elastix?

Is this more or less secure than using fail2ban?

If you already have fail2ban installed, would there be any conflict if you also installed this? (Can both run concurrently, or should you pick one or the other but not both?)

Just thought I'd throw this out and see what you security-conscious guys think - the fact that there is a FreePBX module for it could potentially be a big plus, if there are no other impediments to using it with Elastix, or reasons not to use it (however the page for the module basically says that it's intended for use with their distribution, so I don't know if there would be any compatibility issues).
  2. donhwyo

Aug 8, 2008
    Interesting but I think you will have to use the build system and not a package from them. Just took a very quick look so don't consider it ruled out. This could be a very nice find.