What is going on?

Discussion in 'General' started by cowboy47, Sep 21, 2007.

1. cowboy47

I will be the first to say that I like the idea of Elastix better than Trixbox. But here are some major concerns that I have (as well as questions).

1. Why was a release such as 0.8.5 made that was so buggy?
    2. There seems to be little response to the majority of the issues posted.
    3. Features that have been requested, which exist in Trixbox or AsteriskNow have not been responded to, they just seem to be ignored.
    4. Concerns about items such as embedding the FreePBX interface are ignored and when problems occur, there is no response from the development team.
    5. While the site is nice, it does not appear to be monitored.
    6. Why is it that the Trixbox forum is much more responsive than Elastix?

7. Now I see a post that mentions that they are working on release 0.9 or 1.0 but no mention of what is in it or why anyone should upgrade and no mention of any type of safe guards to prevent items such as 0.8.5.

8. Finally, I cannot understand how or why the embedding of FreePBX was snuck into the iso for 0.8.4. I had to go back and find beta2 of 0.8.4 to escape this problem.

Just my thoughts.

C

2. mbit

I am unsure why the 85 release was put out in the state it is. They seem to have tried to put in a heap of new features which should have been held off and tested properly. The 85 beta is far more stable than the actual stable release.

The community is not as big as trixbox so things will be a little slower. Features in Elastix will always be slower than Trixbox though. Trixbox just slaps it all together where Elastix actually tries to integrate it properly.

The idea behind the embedded FreePBX is good. It is an all in one interface. You dont have 1000 different interfaces to go through. To make a professional product it needs to be this way.

3. cowboy47

Yes, I understand that the community is not as big as Trixbox, however, if there are major issues, the people who are developing the thing need to respond. I realize the problem in managing your time, when you are juggling between trying to fix something and answering questions. But look at the bug tracker, there are tons of reports that have not been answered or addressed.

Some of my criticism may be unfair as I am not a programmer. If I were, I would be offering my services. But, as a systems person, and having over 30 years of experience in all parts of the world, I would be happy to assist on the processes or the release process.

Regardless, there must be better communications for this to work.

C

4. Trying

I agree. I have asked quite a couple of questions to date and not one has been answered. That makes me extremely nervous and hesitant to take the step and install it in our business because it seems that when you run into problems then you don't get any help here.

5. ramoncio

Same opinion here.
    Many new features in new releases don't contribute to system's stability.
    They should do far more testing before throwing out new buggy versions.
    I'm afraid of having problems with production systems and get no answers.

6. lek

lek Guest

We are doing efforts to make the next 0.9 version the best version until now. We're running tests against upgrades and take care that nothing goes broken.

We're not ignoring your requests and I think that 0.9 will include some of them. For example, freepbx will have a non-embedded option and the user manual has been highly improved as you suggested in the chatroom.

0.8.5 will be upgradeable to 0.9. So, we prefered not work on the 0.8 branch.

Sorry for the inconvenients. Be sure that the best releases are comming.<br><br>Post edited by: edgar, at: 2007/10/25 07:06

7. Trying

Thank you very much for the reply!! I am very excited to see which features will be included!

8. webbler

I am writing this in the hope that it will help to keep the development in good course, as I think it has lots of potential to become a real tribox killer.

if any lesson is to be learned I honestly think by rushing out new versions with out clearing the back log of bug fixes it will discourage potential user from ever using elastix.
    I for one had to switch back to tribox after updating 8.4 with yum which totally crippled freepbx also there is a memory leak that keeps feeling up the memory until you are forced to reset the computer. I this has been reported and even I tried to help but adding some sugestions in a forum but I got little feed back from the developer so I lost interest.

Hope the developers take this as a constructive criticism and not the wrong way as I am too developing software and I know how hard it is.

It will be good to have SVN and a portal like track for community development too.

I do wish the developers lots of success and If you need any help please let me know as we need to exploit the small comunity that is at hand.

Post edited by: webbler, at: 2007/10/26 18:16<br><br>Post edited by: webbler, at: 2007/10/26 18:17