What Device Do I Select to Setup Softphones ??

DaDuck

I'm trying to setup Extensions on a new installation of Elastix 1.6.12 to use with only a few softphones.. The manual I'm using says:

There are a number of device types for the extensions. This we need to determine
prior to creating the extensions. They are:

dicko

First off , welcome:

Try downloading "Elastix Without Tears" in the download section, I believe that almost certainly the softphones will be SIP, some also do IAX2, (none do the other ones )

DaDuck

Thanks for the reply...
"Elastix without tears" is the doc I took the bolded device description from in my OP. You give me a hint though... Let me look at my softphone software- Zoiper to see if any specifications are made there.....
DD

dicko

Zoiper wull do both, SIP or IAX2, I suggest you start with IAX2 it traverses NAT with less problems,

DaDuck

These are messages I see in my Zoiper log:

09:51:59 Failed registration for 'M@imagine.com' with cause 'service or option unavailable'
09:52:05 Failed registration for 'A@Imagine' with cause 'service or option unavailable'

These messages are repeated once or twice per second.

Zoiper's manual says I need to manually modify the iax.conf and extensions.conf files for asterisk. I'm running Elastix, so do I need to modify these files? In setting up extensions in Elastix, aren't I already doing this?

Thanks for the input..

dicko

Extensions are numeric in FreePBX (Elastix) if you want to use M@imagine.com you will need a sip alias against that numeric extension, but why not just use the numeric extension and it's password like everyone else for registration purposes in your softphones, I think page 44 following in "Elastix Without Tears" will put you on the right path.

DaDuck

I see what you mean... I don't know why the zoiper log shows names as

Failed registration for ' M@imagine.com' with cause 'service or option unavailable'

I've only created a couple of extensions to this point and they are numeric (8600) and not m@imagine.com. At least a part of the problem is that extensions do not seem to be able to "Register". Page 44 of Without Tears has to do with Following. The primary extension isn't working, so trying to follow to another extension would also be fruitless. I just downloaded Elastix Without Tears, so maybe I have a different version from you?

I think Registration is the root of my problem... How to resolve???

dicko

DaDuck

Thanks Dicko- Apparently, my version was a little earlier... got it now... let me take a look..

DaDuck

Cool.... got it now.. Do you have any recommendations for how to be able to call other land lines (What I've done so far is only on my local lan..)??
Thanks again
DD

dicko

Just add a trunk interface, SIP or hardware as appropriate, again E.W.T. will guide.

If you go the hardware route, I recommend you keep away from anything that calls itself X100P although cheap, you will almost certainly be far from happy with them.

DaDuck

Does a Trunk interface mean a Carrier? If so, do you have any recommendations? Yup, I'll be hitting the EWT again...
thanks,
DD

dicko

Basically a trunk is a channel that will carry your calls to the rest of the world, so perhaps, yes a carrier, as is BT, but you will need hardware to talk to a regular phone line, as to Limey VOIP Carriers I can't really advise, I haven't been there since 1066 but my guess is they are expensive and tied up in red tape, try the Euro carriers they seem to get it "better". (or so my son says)

dicko (expat limey)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marouen