What Codec do you use?+(G729 Problems)

Mirko87

Hi to everyone...

I'm trying to optimize my PBX system... Until last friday I used G711 alaw, but I know that it uses al lot of bandwidth (about 80 Kb/s)... And it is a little bit much...
So that I've bought a licence for Digium to be able to use the G729. The quality is good because between my Provider and my End-Point there isn't codification (G 729 both)... But here there are some other problems:

I saw the next problems in office between a Phone with G729 and X-Lite with G711:

1- When I call from G729 to G711 the transferts from G711 works good; but if I get the phone G729 in waiting on Parking Lot... when I want to pick up the call (dialing 701), it hung up.

2-When I call from G711 to G729, and from my phone with G729 I try to transfer the call or do something else with DTMF tones, the call is dropped by hung up.

Have you got some problems with G729?... Do you suggest to use it? Or go back to G711?

Thanks to everyone...

Mirko

Chilling_Silence

I use iLBC, the "free" price tag is brilliant ;) Plus I dont have to mess with licensing.

The problem in 1- is the licensing. Basically your X-Lite probably doesnt support g729.

Also, how many licenses did you buy? Remember 1 license for 1 channel. This means if you buy 1 g729 license and use it going from your PBX to your SIP Provider, then your Endpoint (Phone / softphone) MUST use a non-g729 codec and have your Elastix box transcode the call.
If you have 2 licenses, then you can have both the Endpoint using g729 and the connection to your SIP provider as g729.

Otherwise use g711 from the phones to the PBX, and use g729 from the PBX to the SIP provider :)

Chilling_Silence

Not too sure if this is allowed, however from what I can tell this doesnt violate the iLBC License (Provided you also agree to it).
License: http://www.ilbcfreeware.org
iLBC files I just put on MU: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MKLZKQI1

Installation:
Download the .zip
Extract the two files
copy them to /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/
cd /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/
chown root:root *ilbc.so
chmod +x *ilbc.so

Unsure if the last 2 steps are required, however all the others have the same permissions / ownership so why not :)

Hope this helps

Mirko87

Chilling_Silence said:
I use iLBC, the "free" price tag is brilliant ;) Plus I dont have to mess with licensing.

The problem in 1- is the licensing. Basically your X-Lite probably doesnt support g729.

Also, how many licenses did you buy? Remember 1 license for 1 channel. This means if you buy 1 g729 license and use it going from your PBX to your SIP Provider, then your Endpoint (Phone / softphone) MUST use a non-g729 codec and have your Elastix box transcode the call.
If you have 2 licenses, then you can have both the Endpoint using g729 and the connection to your SIP provider as g729.

Otherwise use g711 from the phones to the PBX, and use g729 from the PBX to the SIP provider :)
Thank you...
Probably this is the problem, but between G729 and another G729 I can't hear the Music Hold On... So that if a make "show g729" on the CLI, the result is that I have 1 licence but it isn't in use bacause the call is between 2 G729...

Tomorrow I'll try iLbc, low bit rate code (good, bacause just in case of 5 calls G711 uses 425Kb/s :eek:hmy: )

By the way thank you so much for the answers... Now I can't try iLbc, but tomorrow I can, and I'll tell you what I think about...

See you soon...

Mirko

Mirko87

Chilling_Silence... I've just seen that my provider do not support iLbc Codec...

But for my personal intaresting... Is that codec good?

Mirko

Bob

Mirko87,

Chilling Silence I believe is pretty well on the mark.

It will come down to the number of licences. Correct.. G729 to G729 (licenced softphones??) does not require the licence, however once you use the features of the ELastix/Asterisk system, you are not making a call direct from G729 to G729, you are making a call from G729 to asterisk to G729. This will occur when you place a call on hold, park a call, transfer a call, conference bridging as this is handled by the Asterisk system. So you will need to have the appropriate number of licences.

I have used ILBC a lot in the past and has been a good codec, however, it is my understanding that as of 5-6 months (or more), ILBC was removed as part of the Asterisk releases due to licensing/distribution issues. You can add it yourself (some guides around), as this is not a violation of licencing.

However, I find GSM with most VoIP operators works quite well as many use this codec on their backend connecting to the main carriers, so basically it means less transcoding (better).

Internally on the network however, use the GSM or ULAW/ALAW codecs for your phones....

Regards

Bob

Mirko87

Ok, so that I have to buy one more licence...

Thank you Bob for the fast answer, you are the man here!!

Tomorrow mornig in office I'll try again to use it...

Now I'm go to bed...

Mirko...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti