Weird sound when receiving a call through one PSTN

Discussion in 'General' started by OrlandoP, Oct 5, 2009.

1. OrlandoP

I have an Elastix system with 4 FXO. When I receive a call to the number on the 3rd FXO port I get a weird sound for 10 seconds as soon as you pick it up, and the it goes off and you can talk perfectly. After about 60 seconds it goes on for a couple of seconds and off again. It sounds like the sound modems made when you connected to the internet over dialup.

I have tried using fxotune -i 5, and fxotune -s, and the problem remains.

Here is a link to a recording I made of it:
    http://www.ziddu.com/download/6777008/g ... 3.mp3.html

Thanks in advance!

2. torboy

it sounds like a fax machine. is your inbound call going through a fax route

3. OrlandoP

I just checked everywhere and it is not set as a fax.
    I deleted that trunk, changed the line to port 4 on the OpenVox A400 card, and it continues with the same sound.
    I configured the outbound route, so the system dials with that line, and even with outgoing calls I get the sound for about 10 seconds.

Any other sugestions on what else can I check?

4. torboy

did you try to connect a phone set to your pstn line directly, maybe it is the provider or you have other equipments on the line. like alarm systems connected to your telephone line

5. OrlandoP

No, the line is fine. Actually, right now I have a phone connected directly to the Wall, since that number is really important for our business, so for sure, it is something in the Elastix system.

I was checking and my system is only using 2.4% of CPU and 6.7 % of memory. So it has to be some configuration. The weird thing is that it is a new system, I have only configured extensions, inbound routes and outbound routes, nothing else. The only file that I have edited via the command line is the dahdi-channels.conf where I changed the line "context=from-pstn" to "context=from-zaptel" so the inbound routes could work.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Anything else you think can be causing this?