Want external fax access

Discussion in 'General' started by anza83, Jul 10, 2009.

1. anza83

Hi at all,
    I'm a newbee and I configured with success elastix, sip-iax-fax extensions. Now everything works from internal lan, but I have some problems with external access of my extensions, in particular fax ones.
    I configured iax2 extensions, one for voice and two for faxes; but only voice extension works from external. I can't make working faxes from internet.
    I forwarded UDP port (4559 & 4569)and I added my external ip in hosts.hfaxd; but when I try to print a page with winprint hylafax from external, I can't receive the job number window...like from internal lan. Why?
    I noticed that my faxes stay in the printer spooler, for example the dimension of the job is 824/928 bytes, like a no good transmission

This thing is drive me crazy!!!!

Please help me with this, I think, stupid thing...

2. dicko

you need to use g711 as your codec for the extension and any VOIP service providers and have impeccable network connectivity for your remote fax extensions to work.

As to printing it sounds like a permissions/user thing,
    Have you added the remote ip address of the winprint fax client in the FAX/fax clients page?

are you using a valid user in the winprint client?

3. anza83

I use a zaptel trunk for sending faxes...

I added the remote ip address in the fax clients page and I'm using a valid client I think...I mean it's the same of the internal one...I'm trying to use it

4. anza83

I have just tryed to install avantfax but now I see always this message "Waiting for modem to come ready on ttyIAX1" when I try to send a fax from internal and also from external... why another "bug"?

5. dicko

You said:
    . . . I can't make working faxes from internet. . . .

Did you just mean you can't use a hylafax client? if so they don't use IAX, just port 4559 (hfaxd) and that's TCP not UDP, further it would be a stretch of the imagination to call it a FAX, it's just a sort of print driver that hylafax will convert the output of to a fax.

The "user" here is a "hylafax user" needs to be added with

faxadduser (see other posts around here)

you said
    . . .why another "bug"?

maybe a bug maybe a misconfiguration?

I suggest you KISS and get it working first, it is possible you now have a mis-configured/duplicated iaxmodem startup process

6. johnme

Hi

I suggest avantfax for external use.
    You have to open ssl port for web access and just upload files for faxing, no spool processes (windows have problems with that).
    All the others are only configurations.No bugs.

Hi John