VPS INSTALL

Discussion in 'General' started by patrickloughlin, May 13, 2010.

1. patrickloughlin

2. ramoncio

Hi Patrick,

I think the easiest way to do it is installing Elastix on other computer and rsyncing it with your vps.
    This is how I installed my vps, and I also migrated it to a different vps provider using the same method:

First install Elastix in a computer at your house, or wherever you have the higest upload speed available, maybe at your office.
    Then install rsync with 'yum -y install rsync', and run this command from your recently installed Elastix computer:

Code:
    nohup rsync -avz --exclude='/sys' --exclude='/proc' --exclude='/boot' --exclude='/etc/fstab' --exclude='/etc/lvm' --exclude='/var/cache' --exclude='/etc/sysconfig' --exclude='/etc/host*' --exclude='/dev' / root@your.vps.ip.here:/ > /home/files.txt 

It is a one-liner, but I'm sure the forum software will split it into many, though I'm no sure if copy/paste will work for you, watch out.
    Don't forget to use your real vps ip near the end. I you don't use standard 22 port use option -P yoursshport.
    This will take some time, depending completely on your upload speed. From minutes untill days.
    You can see the copy process with 'tail -f /home/files.txt'
    After this, everything should be working.

Good luck, and wellcome to the forum!

3. patrickloughlin

4. ramoncio

Uff, I hardly understand you, I'm Spanish.

5. midiabyte

Re: Re:VPS INSTALL

Hi ramoncio, It's very good for me! Solve 70% of my problems!!!

I'm make tests in different machines. However I see a problem when attempt to sync a machine running CentOS5 32 bits to another running CentOS5 64 bits.

I don't know wath the problem certainly, but I think that's about an version of rsync. One is i386 and other is x86_64.

Do you have the same problem?

Excuse my poor english!

Thank's

6. dicko

Re: Re:VPS INSTALL

You should be very careful doing that you will now have a 64 bit kernel but all your binaries in /bin /usr/sbin/ etc. will be 32 bit , or vice versa. the lib file swill be in the wrong place and all sorts of gotchas will get you. You should not try and rsync between species, if you do you will need to include the kernel (/boot) and then of course you turn it into using the other kernel on a reboot . . . I imagine it didn't work in one shot and th second time around the rsync (that you got from the other machine) is now broken

Basically I guess I'm saying, "don't do that" it will hurt :)

regards

dicko

7. santyabreu

Hello Ramoncio

Thank you for this big help using rsync... I will try to do it in a virtuozzo using elastix 2.3

¿Have you tried? Do the kernel and the vps centos version are modified like the local-original elastix versiions after rsync?

Thank you so much

8. santyabreu

Ups perdon que eres español, jeje

La pregunta es que voy a intentar hacerlo con virtuozzo y elastix 2.3 que tengo instalado en local. No se si los kernel y los sistemas centos se igualaran en versiones al original que tengo aqui cuando haga el rsync... es decir que quede el sistema estable. Me parece que si, pero me da cosa experimentar asi de pronto ya que será una versión en producción. ¿Qué me recomiendas?

Tambien esta instalado el webmin con todas las reglas iptables, lo copiará tambien tal cual?

Muchas gracias!!!

9. johnatan

what is the exact rsync command?
    It is not worked for me. Can not find the server. The repo.elastix.org unavailable too.

Cheers,