VPS and Fax trouble

Discussion in 'General' started by torboy, May 29, 2009.

1. torboy

I got Elastix 1.5 running on VPS everthing seemed fine untill I created a IAX2 extension to get fax.

what is did ;

created new IAX2 extension (2000), added new virtual fax (2000)in FAX tab. inbound call fax handling setting is now fax extension=2000, detection type=nvfax, pause after answer=6.
    outcome, all my incoming calls get hungup. If I disable fax handling everything is ok. if I change fax detection type to zaptel incoming calls work but system dosen't detect fax.

next what I did was forward all inbound call to fax extension fax was accepted, I got a email with fax info but no attachments were send, checked fax visor; faxes are there but when I click to view on the ling I get a "not found" error

any help please

2. dicko

I believe you will need to setup the nvfax stuff for fax detection to work on other than zap channels, I don't dbelieve it is installed by default for licensing reasons (you will find instruction elsewhere in these fora, search for nvfax)

3. torboy

4. DaveD

NVFax will detect faxes on your sip or iax2 trunks, also on zap trunks,where zap detection will only work on zaptel hardware.
    So to use NVFax do as Dicko said and grab the files from the forum and install them, reboot and select NVFax as detection

5. dicko

My apologies, welcome, you chose to use nvfax for fax detection , I assumed you knew why, whilst you have that option to choose, it doesn't actually work until you install it. Searching the fora here will produce some apposite postings as to your second problem maybe just a yum update will suffice.
    I might comment that fax over sip (which requires g711) to a VPS machine is a stretch. Keep an eye on the hylafax logs in /var/spool/hylafax/log directory if everything isn't perfect.

6. torboy

ok got the files and now if fax detact type is nvfax call go through but still can't accept faxes and if I go to FAX tab my fax extension status is NOT "Running on idle on ttyIAX1"

Virtual fax status still shows "on ttyIAX1"

7. dicko

"still"? I don't remember you saying that before, that suggests that hylafax, is not running properly.

faxstat

at the bash shell should show configured fax modems and their status.

ps aux|grep -i iax

should show all the iax modems and reciprocal faxgetty's running

ps aux|grep -i fax

should show faxq and hfaxd running

/etc/init.d/hylafax restart ( a couple of times)

should successfully stop and start hylafax with no error.
    (sorry, not newbie stuff but it's all I can think of, and most newbies haven't installed Elastix on a VPS, so I guess you aren't intimidated)

8. torboy

I didnt install elastix on VPS my self. Template was provided my VPS seller without any warrenty.

first of all I noticed Hylafax was not install, so I install by
    Code:
    yum -y install hylafax
    restart the VPS few times.

and here is the result of code suggested in previous posting

Code:
    [root@pbx ~]# faxstat
    Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.

[root@pbx ~]# ps aux|grep -i iax
    root      8064  0.0  0.0   2852   332 ?        Ss   15:24   0:00 /usr/sbin/iaxmodem
    uucp      8065  0.0  0.2   2964   900 ?        S    15:24   0:00 /usr/sbin/iaxmodem
    uucp      8186  0.0  0.4   4976  1880 ?        Ss   15:24   0:00 /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyIAX1
    root     10104  0.0  0.1   3920   696 pts/1    S+   15:25   0:00 grep -i iax

[root@pbx ~]# ps aux|grep -i fax
    uucp      8029  0.0  0.3   6912  1196 ?        Ss   15:24   0:00 /usr/sbin/faxq
    uucp      8186  0.0  0.4   4976  1880 ?        Ss   15:24   0:00 /usr/sbin/faxge
    root     11276  0.0  0.1   3924   700 pts/1    S+   15:25   0:00 grep -i fax

[root@pbx ~]# /etc/init.d/hylafax restart
    Shutting down HylaFAX queue manager (faxq):                [  OK  ]
    Shutting down HylaFAX server (hfaxd):                      [FAILED]
    Starting HylaFAX queue manager (faxq):                     [  OK  ]
    Starting HylaFAX server (hfaxd):                           [FAILED]
    Restarting HylaFAX modem manager (faxgetty):               [  OK  ]

9. dicko

Well, basically your hylafax is not starting.

In a normal Elastix installation hylafax will be installed.

why did you think it wasn't? If it truly wasn't then I suggest the vendor's template is incomplete. (which might be why they give no warranty)

first off you can force an error with

hfaxd -I (which should return quietly)

then

cat /var/log/messages* |grep -i hfaxd

might give a clue as to hfaxd server errors. (apart from the self induced one which definitely should be there)

the hylafax processes are
    /usr/sbin/hfaxd

and

/usr/sbin/faxq

which hfaxd

and

which faxq

should confirm they are at the right location

/etc/init.d/hylafax stop

then

cat /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd should return at least 127.0.0.1 ( the localhost)

/usr/sbin/hfaxd -i 4559 || echo $?

should start hfaxd quietly and return a 0 (no error)

/etc/init.d/hylafax status

and

ps aux |grep fax

should confirm. (hfaxd but not faxq)

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful as to why hfaxd won't start but it could be due to any amount of reasons which are commonly logged in /var/spool/messages, the most common ones hopefully I have covered here but:

http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook

Is the authoritative starting point.

10. torboy

Any one else could comment on how to install hylafax now

Code:
    [root@pbx]# /etc/init.d/hylafax stop
    Shutting down HylaFAX queue manager (faxq):                [  OK  ]
    Shutting down HylaFAX server (hfaxd):                      [FAILED]

[root@pbx sbin]# cat /var/log/messages*|grep -i hfaxd
    Jun  1 21:26:49 pbx HylaFAX[12266]: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket                                              (incorrect hfaxd invocation?)