VOIP provider setup using elastix ?

voscar

I would like to setup as a VOIP provider and was wondering if I could use Elastix for this. If so what would I need for a basic setup

Thanks,
V

Chilling_Silence

You can use asterisk, however depending on your country, there could be a lot involved in becoming a VoIP provider... Its really the kind of thing (I would think) that you should be researching online as opposed to just asking in a forum, as its quite a broad question.

Have you found yourself an upstream-provider for you to peer with?

voscar

Thanks for the reply. My country is US. The backend is no issue for me. I was an ISP for ten years and we started to offer VOIP to our customer base in 2000. But it was a different world. SIP wasn't even thought about and at that time potential customers thought we were trying to sell them snake oil. The only halfway known provider then was Focal or so it seemed.

Thing is, everything is different now. I think I may not have done too well at asking my question.

I was wondering if Elastix would work well as a server for distributing VOIP to my customer base or if it relly is suited more as a PBX. I hope i'm not asking a real stupid question because it seems if it will do one, it will do both.

My concern is that things have changed sooo much in 8 years that maybe I am misunderstang the concept of Elastix or how it actually works. I think some companies are doing what I am asking about. I am confused and thought I would ask. I hop I asked the question a little better this time.

Thanks
V

Chilling_Silence

Bob

Voscar,

It depends on how far you want to go as a VoIP Provider. If you are talking about a small customer base that you are offering services to, then Elastix with a few modifications will perform what you are trying to achieve.

Many VSP's are actually running Asterisk systems to provide VoIP services and doing it reasonably well.

However, if you are ultimately going to throw your system open for the general public, then Elastix is not the way to go. The public will be more demanding on features, and your will find that Elastix, whilst a great PBX system, would be limiting as a VSP option, and a pure Asterisk system would be more suitable with a Control Panel front end which has been setup for commercial VSP operations (which includes billing etc).

Regards

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
achilont13