Voicemails Not Emailed

Discussion in 'General' started by techietype, Nov 11, 2009.

1. techietype

Hi there,

I just got my Elastix PBX running on a VPS web server... For some reason, the system is not sending out the voicemail messages as emails, even though it is set up to from within the elastix gui/freepbx. Any ideas? How do I set up a mail server to send out the messages via SMTP? I have a regular web server that I can set up a mailbox on for Elastix to use...

Thanks for any help!

2. jgutierrez

You will need to check some few things:

1. Have you alredy setup the dns
    2. Is your Elastix server able to use your internet service
    3. Do you have enabled port 25 (try to telnet to your domain)
    4. If everything is ok, try to send an email from your server, and then check the queue is the email was sent correctly or not (if you have an account in gmail, hotmail, try to send an email into those accounts)

mail your_email_addres
    Subject: Test
    Hello
    (here you press the enter key)
    CC:
    Right now the email should be delivered

3. techietype

What do you mean by have I already set up the DNS?

Also, the PBX is running on a web server in a data center, so yep it is connected to the internet.

I was able to telnet to the box, so that is working...

4. ramoncio

But, have you configured a relayhost for postfix or reverse DNS with your FQDN server's name?
    Otherwise, you won't be able to send emails.
    There is a script somewhere in the forum to configure Gmail as relayhost with your account data that works great.

Once configured you can check what's going on with a console command like this:

Code:
    echo "this is a test email body to be sent" | mail -s "test email subject" recipient@address.com ; tail -f /var/log/maillog

(all in one line)
    This command sends a test email using the console (of course, you'll need to change recipient@address.com for your desired one) and opens the maillog, where you should see where are your emails going. When you finish studying the maillog, you can exit with CTRL+C

5. techietype

Sorry, I'm kind of a newbie here :)

I haven't set up a relay host for postfix yet... Do you know of any tutorial that explains how to do so? I found the gmail one, but I would prefer to use my own SMTP server (I do have one on my regular web server).

Thanks again for all of your help!!

6. ramoncio

Search the web. Elastix uses postfix as MTA. Depending on your smtp server config you might need to configure sasl authentication and/or SSL, which is safer than plain text auth. So search for 'postfix relayhost your_smtp_provider'

If you web server has an already working email server, you will need to research which authentication mechanisms you can use with it, so you can use it as postfix relayhost.

7. tknman0700

I am having trouble sending email as well.. I test your command and nothing is being written to the maillog file.
    If I run the command without the tail option the command seems to work fine but there is nothing on teh screen to confirm that.
    There is nothing in my maillog files...

I checked and postfix is running.. what is next to determine why my mails are not being sent?

Thanks

8. tknman0700

mail is working on my box because i can say mail -s "test" me@mydomain.com and I will get the email.. but voicemails are not delivering. Any thoughts??

9. tknman0700