Voicemail to Email

Discussion in 'General' started by techieg, Nov 8, 2007.

1. techieg

Hello All,

Is there any documented info on setting up voicemail-to-email? I'm unsure if its same as;

nano /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    find the line that starts with DS
    change it to:
    DSyourisps.smtpserver.com

Also, what if wuthentication is required to send through one's ISP (separate inquiry)?

Thanx.<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/07 22:02

2. techieg

nano /etc/mail/sendmail.cf definitely does not work to configure voicemail to email. SO does anyone know how to configure voicemail-to-email?

3. techieg

You guys gotta be kidding me, so nobody here knows how to or has setup a working voicemail-to-email on Elastix. Not even the developers and admin guys here? Edgar, Ramoncio, Jose, what's going on, don't you guys know this?

4. ramoncio

You just have to configure it in the freepbx gui.
    When you create a extension, you have the option to enable or disable voicemail, and the eamil address where you want Elastix to send the extension's voicemails.
    This is a very trivial question, so I think you'd better read some more and do more tests before asking here.

5. techieg

If you carefully read the original post you will see that my inquiry clearly relates to setting the outgoing SMTP server (and authentication settings to connect to ISP's SMTP servers that require it if any). I was not asking about how to enable voicemail in user extensions, which was what you answered with.<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/10 13:40

6. ramoncio

Sorry, I didn't read well.
    I don't know.
    Elastix uses its own mailserver to send it, so I've never tried to change it.
    Maybe admins can give you a hand on that, though they are quite busy at the moment...

7. techieg

There should be an option especially for ISPs that block SMTP port 25 so external mailservers cannot send through their network. Or does Elastix use an SMTP Relay via port 80? This may also work but end up in end user's spam mailbox due to it being a common technique used by spammers. So I am unsure which of these Elastix is set to use and I know users such as myself and many others out there would like the option to be able to set an alternative SMTP configuration via GUI (similar to the one in Openfire, SugarCRM, and vTiger) to ensure receipt of all emails. I know for sure that ISPs such as Verizon require you to use their SMTP sever with authentication, and RCN & Comcast require one to at least point to their SMTP server for your emails to go through them. I was able to set Openfire to deliver emails via RCN, which is my ISP and it delivered well but I need to do the same with everything else. Or better yet, why can't all services use one SMTP setting instead of setting them differently in every application (same goes for User settings; why can't all services pull user information from one database so that once users are created in FreePBX they can immediately log into any service such as IM, Fax, ARI, CRM, etc, and not have to create them in there too)?

What can be done about this?<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/10 14:11

8. ramoncio

I think you will have to configure postfix (this is the mta used by Elastix) to route all your emails through your external mail server, and not send them himself. By default it is configured to deliver the messages directly to their destiny, but you can change that.
    You can do it by hand, editing files in /etc/postfix, or you can try with webmin and the postfix module with a nice web inteface.
    Read some postfix howto.
    You can post your results here.
    Good luck.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/11/10 19:34

9. techieg

I think its about time there is an Elastix GUI for SMTP settings. I assume this can easily be taken from any other opensource applications such as SugarCRM, vTiger, Openfire, etc that already have GUI SMTP settings that work well.

10. techieg

...Anyway, I have checked th default Postfix directory (/etc/postfix/main.cf) as described on postfix.org and cannot find it in Elastix. I would need to know what directory the Postfix files are in and what field(s) to look for so one can edit it.

Thanx.

Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/12 13:37<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/14 15:28