Voicemail Box Full -- System Error

Discussion in 'General' started by izrunas, Oct 6, 2009.

1. izrunas

When my voicemail recently reached 100 messages, the system started telling callers that my box was full, then it declared a system error and hangs up on the caller.

First off, why is there a limit on how many messages my box can hold--and where do I go to change this limit?

Secondly, a "system error" is a strange thing to happen just because a mailbox is full--how does this get resolved?

Thank you.

2. dwells

Your voicemail config file is where you want to start.../etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf
    You will see in the [general] section some other included files.
    vm_general.inc stores settings like this.

You are probably looking for MAXMSG. This is defaulted to 100. There is however a hardcoded value of 9999, that cannot be bypassed.

Increase this number, to something realistic, as the messages will take disk space.

Since we have so many users, I tend to just email ALL messages and delete them from the system, so there are no MAX settings in effect, then I use my email client to manage my voicemails.

-dwellsy

3. izrunas

ok, so I fixed the max messages thing by using the "extended repository" in FreePBX's module admin system and installing "Voicemail Admin" module... then going in and setting the max number of messages per folder (maxmsg setting) to 9999. According to the system, a system default of a 100 message maximum applies if this variable is not set.

But, this still does not answer the issue with the "system error" related to a full mailbox.

Thanks.