VMWare test installation - sound recording issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Flexy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Flexy

I am testing Elastic (0.9.0) using VMWare. I have found that when internal sound recordings play the sound is very badly broken up.

I have tried a fix involving a change to /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the text 'acpi=off noapic nosmp nolapic clock=pit' to the kernel line but this has not solved the problem.

I appreciate that a production system should not be based on VMWare, but I have a lot of testing to do first and I think it would be good for Elastix to offer a working VMware test model (as AsteriskNow does).

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear...

2. nrsrikumar

Re:VMWare test installation - sound recording issu

I too have experienced the same problem mentioned by you. I use the MS virtual Server now. It is all the same. The GRUB parameters does not seem to work for me. Even installing the VM addons does not work. It fixes the clock from running faster, but it does not fix the sound quality. The problem occurs only with the 2.6.18 kernel. I upgraded the kernel to the latest (2.6.23) and the sound issue is gone. It sounds perfect now. No parameters, no addons.. it just works.

You would have the download the kernel source from kernel.org and build the kernel yourself.

--Srikumar

3. Flexy

Re:VMWare test installation - sound recording issu

Thanks Srikumar, that is very interesting and you have cracked the problem. But your solution is too complex for me. I guess I should wait for a release of Elastix to be based on the newer kernel (please, if anyone from Elastix is listening? ;) )

Thanks for your reply anyway.