VLAN tagging in new T1 installation

Discussion in 'General' started by coryjsanders, Sep 14, 2010.

1. coryjsanders

Have seen some posts on VLAN tagging but not finding a clear answer. Replacing a hosted VOIP system that does not work. Can not get rid of the jitter. Bringing in new 3.0M Dynamic T1 with 10 PRI digital trunks. Adtran TA60 router with data handoff to Cisco ASA5505; PRI handoff to Rhino R1T1 card. Running Elastix 1.6. Windows 2003 server on LAN handing out DHCP. Existing LAN has 12 PCs and 12 Polycom IP501s. I want to put the 501s on VLAN 10 and the PCs on VLAN 50. I will be placing a new managed 24-port POE switch with VLAN tagging capability. PBX will talk to phones through it's Ethernet port via the new Switch. I do have a Microsoft-certified IT guy to help me with this. Any suggestions on programming the PBX's network interface? Any other guidelines or words of wisdom? PBX still has to talk out data side of the network for VM:EM, Sugar, etc. Thanks.

2. dicko

To add a tagged VLAN interface to the physical eth0, (I suggest you use vlan512 for phones as Cisco kind of chose it and many routers are pre-configured TOS/QOS wise to recognize it)

Then something like:-

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 | \
    sed -e 's/eth0/eth0.512/' \
    -e 's/NETMASK=.*/NETMASK=255.255.255.0/' \
    -e s'/IPADDR=.*/IPADDR=10.0.0.2/' \
    -e 's/GATEWAY=/#GATEWAY=/' > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.512

echo VLAN=yes >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.512
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.512

ln /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.512 /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0.512
    ln /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.512 /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0.512

modprobe 8021q
    ifup eth0.512
    ifconfig

should work (change the ingredients to suit your taste)

I would keep all that vlan stuff away from a windoze based DHCP server m$ doesn't understand vlans very well ,and set your inbuilt one to handle the polycoms on the vlan512 network both for DHCP and TFTP if you choose to so provision them that way.

3. coryjsanders

figured. What you show is pretty straight forward. I have the install scheduled for late October. I'm going to revisit this with you then. Thanks!