Video Quality Problem

kiemosan

Hi,

I'm (so far) successfully running my first Elastix install with out any major problems for about 10 users which is great! Thanks to those who've helped me on here in previous posts.

I've successfully enabled the video calls side of things and at the moment have only allowed h264 codec for video as I want the best video quality possible.

We want to use Bria as our main softphone as it has some nice features but I'm having issues with the video quality side of things with this particular program.

I have tested by making video calls between Bria to Bria and Bria to Lifesize clients and have observed the the video sent from the Bria client is very blocky and poor quality and the video sent from Lifesize is smooth and as you would expect.

I raised the issue with Bria / Counterpath support and they had me send over some Wireshark traces and gave me the following responses.

The problem is that Asterisk's SDP doesn't use any profile/level specifier for H264 - it relies on the default one. According to the RFC, the default level is 1.0, which means QCIF at 15 fps and 64kbps;

Due to some calculation we do in new Bria, to reserved bandwidth for audio, we end up with 20-30kbs video bandwitdh, very little for video.

It's possible that the other camera the client uses sets a higher default profile in their software, just to get better video quality, or it might be using the full 64kbps.

The current available solution is:
- configure Asterisk to send some H264 profile in the SDP;

We will have a client based workaround avaiable with the next regular program update. (3.2)
and

You might want to have a look here:
http://voip-info.capatres.com/wiki/inde ... age_id=652

Seems it's a known issue.
I'd like to get some input on this from the community and see if you agree the problem is likely to be with Asterisk or are Counterpath diverting attention from a flaw in their software? They do mention the are including a workaround in their next release for this problem.

If the problem is with Asterisk can I do anything to solve the problem as Bria is the only client we can find that meets our requirements.

I have updated Asterisk, FreePBX and Elastix fully and have only done minimal customisation of the box so far.

Thanks in advance and hope you can help.

John

kiemosan

Bump - Anyone got any thoughts on this at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehdii_igi