Video on elastix - google isn't my friend!

Discussion in 'General' started by mlewis, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mlewis

Funny, the more I search google for answers, the more I find forums with posts like 'google is your friend', 'search google', 'have you googled for answers', it's incredible. If everyone keeps doing that, what will the value of forums be? For that matter, it's negating even google itself. Strange.

Anyhow, I've been trying to get video working but keep coming across things I can't find answers to.

1: There seems to be confusion as to what files to put the configuration options into. I've added them in sip.conf (which clearly says not to but forums seem to say to do that) for testing. That seems to enable video. We are able to make video calls internally. An update however, nukes the settings from the sip.conf. In fact, many things that I had added seemed to be taken away when I did an update.

So, which files are the options supposed to go into? I've now added them to sip_additional.conf.

And, while I have found many variations of what should and could go into the config, I'm just looking to get the basics working so that I can see it in action, then do more research to better learn about it.

From what I can tell, this is all I need.

videosupport=yes

allow=h263
    allow=h263p
    dtmfmode=rfc2833
    canreinvite=no

Next is firewall. That's a tough one. I've found some references showing what ports should be opened but nothing seems to work for external video so far.

This is what I've been able to compile from what I'm reading for H.263.

TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 1300-1300
    TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 1503-1503
    TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 2979-2979
    TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 11720-11720
    TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 1718-1720
    TCP src port: 0-65535, dst port: 1731-1731

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

2. dicko

Way before Google in the Elastix world is "Elastix Without Tears" which I assumed you had read.
    It should answer your questions about which files to put your configurations in and how to set up your firewall. (and perhaps many more you have yet to ask).

A tip, Asterisk(1.4) does not do SIP over TCP, just UDP/RTP, So those TCP entries won't help.

3. mlewis

We have it and have been using it, just not line for line. Haven't had the chance to sit and read it fully yet but will do.

On the TCP entries, I posted only what I found for an h263 policy only.

Right now, for testing, we have the entire udp range open because of a past system we were using. Need to tide those things up also.

4. dicko

5. mlewis

Too funny, I tried many things but this. I tried asterisk h.263, asterisk video conf, etc etc.

Funny, my wife also has better luck finding things than I do. I'll take a look,
    thanks.

Mike

6. mlewis

I actually did read a lot of information on voip-info.org but much of it was not clear if it pertained to our elastix setup or not. There seems to be confusion on where to put these options, in what files.

Anyhow, will read and read and read some more :).

7. mlewis

Hey, did you know that 'elastix without tears' is a darn good reference point? :).

Actually, it's funny because there's so MUCH information these days that it's easy to forget to look in your own back yard for answers. The PDF is quite helpful in getting things set up. Still not sure what ports I need for H.263 however but it does show where some of the basic settings go.

Better understand why configs get overwritten too but one that's strange is a CSS change that we changed, which seemed to go right back to it's original setting after a rebooting. Confusing.

Mike

8. dicko

I think you will find that just the ports mentioned in "EWT" are sufficient, Asterisk merely acts as a pass through for video and the payload is in the RTP stream on the UDP port negotiated in the call setup. The clients will handle the rest.

I suggest function over form, maybe the css bling is more appropriately changed when you have a fuller understanding of the function of Elastix.

p.s. and to the community in general, why are these fora filled with tales of rebooting, Seriously all those rebootleggers, this is linux not windows, unless you change your kernel, it is just a waste of time and an unnecessary wear on your hardware! (sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now).

9. mlewis

The CSS change was minor, just to make things fit better into a wrapper.

That is the beauty of linux alright. I had one old slackware server that came to life in early 90's and never got shut down until the late 90's. It was our very first SLIP/PPP server which eventually transitioned into a mail server.

In this case, had to reboot because the ESX host needed to be shut down to move a blade :).

Thanks for the tip on the firewall. I spent time fixing that up a while ago, closing down the full range to a 10000/20000 on the UDP side. That was left over from another server we were testing which required all UDP ports.

Mike

10. dicko

An "interesting" time-line B) .
    You're welcome, and
    I hope to see you on the "other-side"

11. mlewis

Update;

Things are going well, everything is working, including video.

Need to do some research into what best codecs to use and perhaps even finding ways of having perhaps two, three bandwidth options.

One problem which is perhaps not a problem;

[Jun 20 22:34:29] WARNING[4316] config.c: Unknown directive '#permit=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0' at line 18 of /etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf

Anything to worry about?

12. dicko

No, it's a long on-going PITA

[Jun 20 22:34:29] WARNING[4316] config.c: Unknown directive '#permit=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0' at line 18 of /etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf

Not a problem. But if it bugs you then:

vi /etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf

fix the typo on line 18

save - One less cause of angst :)

13. mlewis

Doesn't bother me, just wondered if it was a problem. The typo being the #, is now gone and so is the error msg.

Easier to catch real errors removing such things.

Thanks.