Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'General' started by jmorrison26, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jmorrison26

Hi Guys,

I am trying to explore elastix a bit further.

We currently have scheduled conference call once per week between 5 staff members. Members would simply just call into the confernce number/extension using a softphone/IP phone.

I am now being faced with the request of changing our meeting to Video Conference session instead.

Can any advise what tool is needed or how to go about doing video confrence with Elastix

2. Seth

It sounds like we are on a similar track. I would be interested to learn what you find - we just entered a trial of a Hi-Def video conferencing system. I think that it would be cleaner for us to do in Asterisk / Elastix

3. rollinsolo

I have used the feature using Elastix and Bria which is a softphone and allows for a webcam. Worked pretty good wore a shirt, tie and my boxers, :)

Did not try it with a hardware phone like a snom or anything along those lines.

4. jmorrison26

But is there a software than can conference multiple users...I was aiming to video conference at least 5 individuals.

5. Seth

The software/service that we are testing is from softfoundry and while it works it is also super processor intensive even for marginal video. I will say that we also tested it over a VSAT connection with an HD cammera and the image quality was very clear. Our conferencing tests have been ok - our Vista users complain that their clients are useless during the conference though.

6. rollinsolo

I see what your asking, how can you see multiple people at different locations. Hmm, Ill get back to you.

7. jmorrison26

thats exactly my question..thanks for understanding...awaiting your comments

8. rollinsolo

This is a response from Bria, hope it helps.

Hi Rollinsolo,

The video from each client will be displayed in rectangles arranged in a matrix. The audio from all conferenced calls will be mixed together.

Note that the H.264 video codec is licensed for two simultaneous calls, so the other conferencees would need to be using H.263. Conferencing 5 video calls will depend on available network bandwidth and PC H/W.

Regards,

Customer Support
    CounterPath Corporation

http://www.counterpath.com

9. jmorrison26

Thanks Rollinsolo,

I will try this and see how it goes.

Stay tuned for update.

10. rollinsolo

I hope you have a bad ass server and lots of Ram, I would prob also do a 64 bit so you can install more ram if needed, sounds like the performance issues will most likely take place on the server side. Go with a high MHZ quad core and start with 4 gigs of ram, but have space to go up from there. Not exactly sure how to force the codecs most likey in the BRIA application.

Then again each customers upload speed will likely impact the other users total experience during conversation, most providers give you sufficient download but upload is the main one to concern yourself with.