Video Conf. & VLC Stream Server

Amphibian

To The Brain Masters,

I'm not seeing much on video in Elastix on the forums here.

1: Can you video conference?
2: if not, is there a way (or has anyone tried it) to setup my VLC Stream server as an extension and use the two together for video conference?

I have need to chat with grandchildren this weekend who have moved from where I live to over 1500 miles away. Would love to set up softphone (or web cam) on their end (and my Twinkle Softphone with Video) and use a conference room where maybe the other members of the family can join in to.

Not looking to provide video on broad scale at this point, I have enough going on without trying to sell Video Conferencing. Just want to visit with grand kids.

Any ideas or suggestions, or maybe even other ways to do it (cheap, I'm a tightwad you know, lol) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amphibian

dicko

Asterisk will pass-through the video streams (codecs) it supports in the payload, It cannot "conference" (presumably meaning more than two) those streams, Aasterisk is a back-to-back user agent, so is not an appropriate solution here.

You will need to get it out of the way, you will need to find a video server that can bypass that B2BUA behavior through the asterisk server, which could at best only incrementally increase that load on Asterisk. it would be better to use a "proxy" that is better able to handle that load, bypassing the necessity for asterisk to be "in the loop", and directly renegotiating those connections.

I am not aware of any functional ones maybe start here

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/1vid ... r+Asterisk

or just use skype for one to one, it works fine.

good luck

dicko

Amphibian

Thanks Dicko,

The only problem with the link you sent that I see is that I would be required to setup a Windows machine, no windows junk here.

What are the "large" VoIp/Video Conference centers using these days for video conferencing solutions? I get ads for them all the time and was wondering. I thought they were using some form of Asterisk, guess I was wrong in my thinking hu.

Don't the telephone companies here in US selling DSL with TV/PHONE use the h323 to send video and VoIp for the tv box and VoIp telephone services? and, doesn't the Elastix handle h323 codex? Maybe I need to go back to school again. Looks like I shouldn't have reitred 6 years ago, seem like I've lost out somewhere along the line.

I guess I will stick with the Elastix box with just two connections then on the video softphone.

Once again,
Thanks

Amphibian

dicko

Indeed and I am in total agreement, a while ago i was involved with:

http://www.elastix.org/component/kunena ... g=en#26986

The situation hasn't changed much in a year, to conference H264 or whatever is not really for us humble people yet, it needs "big iron"

kamailio et al have the infrastructure as SIP proxies (unlike Asterisk) but I am unaware of any functional open source video servers to which you could bridge.

Let me know if you find one

dicko (who doesn't yet understand the attraction of facebook)

Amphibian

In setting up an extension for 2 users to talk between each other with video, in the codecs do I need to add an additional codecs for video or will the standard ulaw/alaw work, and/are there any other config files I have to modify?

BTW, the purpose of facebook, its so everyone else in the world can stick their 2 cents worth in your business, and its for people who don't have a life.....

Amphibian

dicko

hehe

but no, g711 is traditional AT&T telephony with a bandwidth of 300-3000 Hz.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+video

technically the video streams aren't codecs (coder/decoders) but they will be "passed through" in the SIP payload, if the endpoints support them (much like t38 fax or g729 without a license)

dicko

p.s.

I did sign up for facebook, (stupid kid, but he's 27 already) it is totally moronic, I really don't care who took a s**t or when, now it seems like a lifetime of nerdery to un-sign up. we should kill them all!!

danardf

I did sign up for facebook, (stupid kid, but he's 27 already) it is totally moronic....
Hey my old Dicko. :)
Me too, I'm on FaceBook :blush:. Arrrrrg: :side:

About the streaming, it's not very easy to do it. I tried do it, but lots of compilation error. I tried to use app_mp4...etc, but no success.

A link example: http://www.asterisk-party.net/index.php ... ideo_3G_FR
In French, but this an idea. ;)

dicko

Bonjour Franck, comment vous et votre famille?

IMHO It is a problem that can never be solved by Asterisk alone. It is only relatively hard to mix audio properly, it is impossible to mix video, think about it . . . .

regards

dicko

p.s.
do you still use SECAM in France, or did you you go Hi-Def, or whatever the "Academie Francaise" calls it ?

danardf

IMHO It is a problem that can never be solved by Asterisk alone. It is only relatively hard to mix audio properly, it is impossible to mix video, think about it . . . .
And about big blue button?

p.s.
do you still use SECAM in France, or did you you go Hi-Def, or whatever the "Academie Francaise" calls it ?
Hmm, we are on TNT or( DTT in English: Digital Terrestrial Television).
Now we should be on PAL.

danardf

Bonjour Franck, comment vous et votre famille?
Well, thanks.
We are on vacation for one week. :)
But the weather is not there! Rain, cold (11°C to 20°C) :S

dicko

Sorry, I was "pulling your frog leg" about secam, I'm old :)

Big Blue Button in due time, when it works and that means to me when I can make it work, I must be stupid, it eludes my skills so far, but it is not a high priority, but I don't want to see people s**t either :) )

regards

dicko

Amphibian

Hey Dicko,

Thanks much for the assistance and knowledge. It caused me to think harder and clean some cob webs out.

After some serious thinking, researching and a lot of tea I have decided to go ahead and do the "provider" of video conferencing route. There is some really cool software available now I didn't know was out yet that will work real well. I have determined that it would be better (after what you said and my research) to setup a separate server and fiber pipe and keep it totally separate from the PBX box and at the same time offer some additional services to accent Elatix.

In my planning thoughts I determined that once I got it up and running that I might offer or be able to provide a access point for some on-line live training for Elastix. Thoughts????? Maybe make it available to the Elastix training team as a aid/method to pay back to the support of Elastix.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing some live learning of Elastix?
I will let you know when I get it setup and send you an IP/user info so you can try it out and maybe do some testing if you like.

Once again, thanks so much for your support knowledge.

Amphibian

dicko

Thanks for your kind words,

It sounds like a plan, go for it! and why not some programmed "off-line" tutorials to keep it busy when you aren't actively using it. Definitely consider an Asterisk connector

You might need sub-titling as many of us don't share a common language, it'll be just like the UN maybe you can call it it ElasTV :)

I look forward to your developments

dicko

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mai Tuyen