validation method for incoming call

Discussion in 'General' started by yashi, Sep 30, 2009.

1. yashi

I'm thinking of create a validation method. When a person receives a call, asterisk calls that extension, asking the user to enter the password. If the password is correct, asterisk bridge the call to the user. Else the call goes straight to the voicemail box.

I'm stuck because I don't know how to bridge the call. Perhaps creating a call parking lot, where the call goes directly to such lot first. Can someone give me the general idea how to solve this problem? Please share your thought ... Thanks

2. dicko

You might want to investigate the "Call Screening" option in the extension, from the 'mouse-over':
    Call Screening

(Screening requires external callers to say their name, which will be played back to the user and allow the user to accept or reject the call. Screening with memory only verifies a caller for their caller-id once. Screening without memory always requires a caller to say their name. Either mode will always announce the caller based on the last introduction saved with that callerid. If any user on the system uses the memory option, when that user is called, the caller will be required to re-introduce themselves and all users on the system will have that new introduction associated with the caller's CallerId.)
    It's a slightly different concept but I think, quite elegant.

More specific to your question, you should look at DISA, but be careful there!

3. yashi

dicko, thank you for replying ... Well, call screening or DISA does not help me in this case as I'm not trying to keep the caller out, or give the caller special privilege to access asterisk. I'm trying to make a restriction of an extension so that only the owner of that extension can answer the call.

For example, let's say you work at a place where there are a lot of people. Someone is calling you now, however you just step out of your desk to do something... Another person right next to you may answer the call for you, and you don't want that to happen.

This is more like a security feature for the person at that extension. So if this method is fully implemented, and someone else picks up the call, he still can not be able to answer the call as he does not know the pass code.

4. dicko

Then Maybe you need to investigate the "Device and User" mode of FreePBX