Using Names Instead of Numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by Amphibian, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Amphibian

Will Elastix allow extensions with names instead of numbers?

Would like to set up system where user can use like say "bob@mypbx.com" instead of using "3000".

Is this possible in Elastix or would I need to setup a separate DNS server for doing this.

If someone is doing this type of "name" instead of "numbers" already can you share or advise link on what is required to make this work.

I have seen reference to several post on here that state that extension are numeric only, but I thought I would ask anyways.

I'm most certain that I would have to setup DNS and direct it to an actual extension number on Elastix (if I can remember how to do that).

Thanks
    Amphibian

2. dicko

If you had yet noticed in FreePBX the "pop-ups", you should read the "pop-up" help that in your extension setup page, might say:-

SIP Alias:

If you want to support direct sip dialing of users internally or through anonymous sip calls, you can supply a friendly name that can be used in addition to the users extension to call them.

;)

regards

dicko

3. Amphibian

Hey Thanks Dicko,

You know, sometimes I feel like a real dumb ass this time of night. Once again if I had taken some more time to think before I asked I would have remembered that.

I really do need to change to a different brand of coffee or move to Cali and change my type of cigs :laugh:

Amphibian