Using a system recording as voicemail greeting

Discussion in 'General' started by danzitting, Feb 10, 2010.

1. danzitting

I'm sure there is some easy way to do this but I can't find it anywhere searching. I have a professionally recorded sound file to use for the voicemail greeting on some of our generic extensions. How can I setup the sound file to be the voicemail greeting? Thanks for any help!

2. ramoncio

Hi danzitting, wellcome to the forum.

Overwrite /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/yourextensionnumber/busy.wav for the busy message or /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/yourextensionnumber/unavail.wav for the unavailable message, with your recorded files. You can do it using WinSCP if you use Windows, or using scp from any other linux box.

And then, correct the permissions with
    Code:
    chown -R asterisk.asterisk /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/yourextensionnumber/

from a linux console or ssh access.

3. dicko

No GUI way in Elastix, basically the files can be found:

/var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/greet.wav
    /var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/greet.WAV
    greet
    /var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/unavail.wav
    /var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/unavail.WAV

/var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/busy.wav
    /var/spool/asterisk/voicemai/default/<extension>/busy.WAV

you must first convert the recording for Asterisk use, two formats one PCM one GSM
    The .wav format files must be 16 bit mono 8khz the WAV if you need them GSM 8khz
    If the are mp3's you can make sure the conversion is done properly by uploading them from The FreePBX GUI on the "Music on Hold" Page, the converted file will then be in

/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/

file <filename>

will confirm they are right, Then you can replace the originals with the converted files and finally

chown asterisk:asterisk <filenames>

4. danzitting

AHHH! Thanks guys. I had tried over the writing the files but didn't understand why there were two and must have encoded them wrong. Much appreciated.