User self care and CFWD settings

Discussion in 'General' started by yesmat, Jul 4, 2009.

1. yesmat

Hi,

I am trying to find out where users can login to change their cfwd settings similar to "Asterisk Recordings Interface" ARI.

Where can users change their own cfwd settings on the server?

is it an option or not available at all?

Thanks

2. DaveD

If you don't want the users in the Elastix interface just use the features from the handset
    Call Forward All Activate *72 will forward all calls that go to that handset to what ever number you put in
    Call Forward All Deactivate *73

Or setup a follow me for the extension and use *21 to activate it or *21 to turn it off

3. yesmat

I actually want users to be able to login to the server and change their own settings.

It is good to set cfwd and Follow me from the phone directly but if a user sets cfwd from the phone using *72 would the phone display a message that reminds the user that his phone is forwarded?

If it doesn't then users could forget that their phone is forwarded.

At least with ARI they could visually see, once logged in, that they have CFWD set and can unset it if they want to.

Wouldn't be great if Elastix guys integrate these features in the user login already?

cheers

4. rejil.rajan

It depends on the phone model that you use, phones like Polycom, Cisco and Linksys have a call forward soft button, which will show the users that the call is forwarded and they will be able to disable it.

5. raj

raj

Yesmat,

what phones you are using?

6. yesmat

we are using Aastra phones. To be honest I am not sure what the fuss is all about these phones. I never liked them. We had so many issues with them.

Latest is MWI stays on after there are no more messages, either read or deleted.

Cisco phones are by far the best but the problem with these is the SIP firmware. It just lakes in so many features compared to the SSCP one.

What is your experience with phones?

7. raj

raj

Well Aastra Phones are the best for Asterisk Based Installation, and with Elastix its super cool!

go here http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... 5&id=23262

and install scripts (Follow all the instructions and you will start loving your Aastra Phones)
    if you have any questions ask in that thread and Aastra Engineer will Answer it.

for Cfwd yes after installtion those Aastra XML Scripts it show a message on phone like the below:

Call forwarding is currently set to Extension XXX.

unless exited the screen it will be there but even if its exited the RED LED On Call FWD button will keep reminding you that this extensions Call FWD is activated.

Let me know if i could help in any possible way.

8. rejil.rajan

Polycom is also one among the best

9. yesmat

Thanks for the info Raj.

We already use XML scripts for Aastra phones. Still having problems with them and given the choice I would probably use Snom next time.

One of 53i phones have its MWI LED on while there are no messages anymore. another one was asking "Enter Extension" again when rebooted as if it can't see its profile that has been created few weeks ago. When the extension was entered ok it even didn't ask to overwright the existing profile....

The CFWD XML script even though it works but it doesn't make it any easier to forward the phone users still have to punch so many buttons to simply CFWALL to a number....

we are using the latest 2.5.x.x firmware, unless this version is buggy. we can downgrade if need be.

Which firmware are you using?? maybe there is one that's more stable than 2.5.x.x

Thanks

Edit: I just wanted to add that we found these XML scripts make it easy to deploy the phones but that's about it.

We just tried a Snom 300 last night, which is the basic model. The build quality is much better, it has 6 programmable keys and you can do many things with them including CFWD, DND, call recording, transfer, directory, 3-way conferencing etc... with one touch only without the need for any scripts (you can still run xml scripts if you needed to). You can also deploy massive number of these using tftp with Elastix. I even think they are cheaper too :)