URGENT - Is using DHCP in Network tab recommanded?

Discussion in 'General' started by torontob, Jul 30, 2009.

1. torontob

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with a Linksys router which requires contineous restart (daily or so) due to problems in cache maybe and brings all the Aastra phones down with it.

The following is how the setup is:

Internet Provider => Cisco Router (locked by provider) => Linksys Router-A (switch mode) => Linksys Router-B (DHCP server) => Linksys 48 port POE switch => 40 Aastra phones and Elastix server connect to POE switch

So, with this format I can use the block of 7 IPs assigned to us by the provider and also can do a putty tunnel to the phones and to the system. However, it seems that Linksys Router-B contineously overloads and requires restarting. I was thinking of eliminating it totaly. Can I do something like this:

ISP => Cisco Router => Linksys Router-A => 48 port POE switch => Elastix Server with DHCP turned on and Static IP assigned and phones connect to POE as well.

Would that work or do I need another NIC card installed in Elastix server?
    Would using Elastix as DHCP server be as bad as the Linksys Router with cache failing every day?
    Would it overload or un-secure the system since there is no router? I tend to change access ports contineously but I need outside access.

Thanks.

2. rafael

dhcp server won't use that much of resources. Remember that your Elastix server has way more resoursces than de linksys. It is save o use the dhcp server :)

Regards,

Rafael

3. torontob

Re:URGENT - Is using DHCP in Network tab recommand

Great to hear that.

However, is this possible or do I need to add a second NIC?

ISP Cisco Router (locked) => Linksys Router-A (working as switch only; solid) => 48 port POE switch => Elastix Server with DHCP turned on and Static IP assigned and phones connect to POE as well.

Thans

4. rafael

As long as it is the only dhcp server, there would be no problem.

5. torontob

Cool. Therefore no need for the second NIC. But I should still be able to assign the server a static IP from the ISP via the same NIC right?

Also, when browsing to Network Tab on Elastix, I get this:

Error: The module modules/network/index.php could not be found

I checked and there is no such directory in: /var/www/html/modules/

but there is a: /var/www/html/modules/network_parameters

What do you think I am missing or may deleted or lost during updates? How can I get it working again?

Thanks

6. Mathiau

why do you have 2 links routers together inline?