Upgrading modules for Unembedded FreePBX

Discussion in 'General' started by Nakkoush, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Nakkoush

I am new to Elastix and migrant from Trixbox..

After installing Elastix 1.3, which is the latest stable version I found here, I went to the unembedded FreePBX module updates where I found that almost all the modules needs to be updated..

Is it safe to upgrade all what is availbe as for modules admin for the unembedded FreePBX?
    Does it affect the stability of Elastix or creates any conflicts?

2. wiseoldowl

There are really two issues here:

Should I upgrade the modules that need upgrading? YES, those are safe to upgrade.

Should I install and use the upgrade module to go to the next version of FreePBX? You can, but you may find that it breaks the extensions pages in Elastix (all the fields will be blank), so you will then have to use Unembedded FreePBX to add or edit extensions until the next version of Elastix comes out (or find the fix to Elastix that was posted on this board - I just can't remember where that message was or I'd point you to it).

At least, this is my experience. YMMV but other than the possibility of blank extension pages in Elastix (and there IS a fix for that posted in one of these forums) I don't think you will have any issues. I have always let FreePBX upgrade modules and that has never caused a problem.

3. Nakkoush

Thanks wiseoldowl, in this case I prefer to remain without updating anything untill the next stable Elastix release with the issues of updates sorted out..

4. wiseoldowl

That might be counterproductive because FreePBX module updates (as opposed to major version updates) are often issued to fix bugs in the individual modules. But, it's your system, and if everything you use is working exactly as you expect then perhaps your strategy is viable.

5. Nakkoush

Being a newbie at Elastix and in IP PBX in general, I prefer not to mix up things in the beginning..

6. agidi

Where can we see or learn which are "safe" to upgrade. I've had bad luck. I'm tired of re installing.

7. dicko

agidi:

In the context of this thread, (to which you post)

I must totally agree with wiseoldowl: (strangely for some, but not the first time ;) )

. . .But, it's your system, and if everything you use is working exactly as you expect . . .

then WHY would anyone need to upgrade?

We here at "Elastix Forum" are not authoritative as to FreePBX (you, nor I, nor anyone here). I am unaware of any security alerts or anything that would set off alarm bells and "require" an upgrade. My suggestion, stop that upgrade/break/reinstall cycle until you are comfortable with what you do!, there isn't always a "call a friend" available when you break things.

(personally I don't follow that advice, but that's another story)

Elastix 1.3 stable is in fact mostly that , i.e. stable. No known FU's and works as advertised.

Nakkoush as a self professed newbie is, IMHO, totally correct in "prefer(ring) not to mix up things in the beginning.." and good counsel to others who might visit here.

If you have an issue with any of this, it might possibly belong in a new thread, lets keep things simple and keep to the thread.

(I note your recent post in another forum)

and my answer to the original post:

"Is it safe to upgrade all what is availbe as for modules admin for the unembedded FreePBX?
    Does it affect the stability of Elastix or creates any conflicts? "

would be pragmatically "Probably" and "Possibly" but mostly "It's not necessary"

Just as ever my 2cents and an attempt to encourage thread etiquette.

8. wiseoldowl

I think dicko nailed it here. The problem is that there are those of us who are somewhat obsessive about wanting the latest bug fixes and added features, and others who just want a stable system that works. For the latter group, once you get to a point where everything works as you expect there is probably no good reason to upgrade. This still means that you won't get any bug fixes, but then again maybe the bugs don't affect the way you are using FreePBX (example, if there is a bug that only affects users of a certain brand of phones and you don't use those phones, then the bug fix won't help you). One thing that is nice about FreePBX is that you can choose to upgrade individual modules, so if you are having a problem with one module you can upgrade it and leave the rest alone.

There is one caveat to this, however - although there's not too much in FreePBX that impacts the security of your system, there are often upgrades to Asterisk itself to resolve security issues. Unfortunately, upgrading Asterisk is (in my experience, anyway) more likely to cause your system to stop working than upgrading FreePBX. So sometimes it's a tradeoff between wanting to continue indefinitely with a stable system and knowing that you really do need to upgrade at some point to get the recent security fixes.

The thing is, if you break something it's not real likely that any of us can tell you what to do to fix it - when it happens to us, we often wind up trying several things (including rolling back to an earlier version, which itself is not always particularly easy) until we get back to a stable state. On the other hand, if you don't apply the security upgrades for Asterisk, there's no guarantee that won't come back to bite you. So in the end, it's up to you to weigh the options and decide where you're most comfortable in therms of stability vs. security - and in saying that, I again point out that FreePBX upgrades rarely if ever have an impact on the security of your system.

9. vtofa

My experience with Elastix 1.3 and the FreePBX that comes with it is that it (FreePBX) needs upgrading because parking lot timeout does not budge from the default 45 seconds without upgrading FreePBX. You can set it to anything you want, but until FreePBX is upgraded, it will not make any difference.