Upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2

Discussion in 'General' started by azmerlin, Sep 25, 2008.

1. azmerlin

Has anyone done this upgrade, any issues, any problems ?
    Also, how exactly is it done ? do I need to start from new ? backup, install and restore or what, I have never done this before and seem to have bugs in my current ( working) PBX which I hope the new version will fix.
    Please help

2. Bob

Bob

Azmerlin,

On the the whole the upgrade is relatively simple. I have done a lot of them and none have failed.

If you are really worried, I would do a backup of your Freepbx, just so that you have the really time consuming work backed up, and if you need to get your PBX back online performing basic functions, then this will get you going usually within 30 mins from starting a rebuild.

I personally only do a Freepbx backup on all the systems (although I have never needed it) that I have upgraded.

With no disrespect to the Elastix Developers, I could not place a large amount of trust in the Elastix Backup, partly due to its earlier days where it failed, but also to be honest, there are just way to many variables that could fail with all the applications loaded, which are not under Elastix direct control.

The only backup I would trust is a disk image backup, and you could use Clonezilla for this and probably other similar ones around.

Otherwise, all you have to do is

yum -y update on your current working Elastix box at the console.

Which will upgrade all the linux tools, Elastix, etc to the latest version.

If you still have problems, bugs after the upgrade, let us know what is causing problems.

Regards

Bob

3. azmerlin

Thanks for the info bob,
    So what you are saying is that all I need to do is type yum -y update and wait ?
    Will all the settings, faxes, users and so on remain and potentially continue working as usual ?
    Thanks

4. Bob

Bob

Azmerlin,

Steps are:

1) at the Linux console type
    yum update yum

This will install the latest YUM update which has a "fastest mirror" improvement that can perform yum updates via the fastest mirrors (can improve times by upto 10x or more). This will be included in later releases of the Elastix system, but for now, worth doing.

2) at the linux console type
    yum -y update

This will perform an update to all files installed on your Linux box. This will include Linux file updates, Elastix updates, Asterisk updates (from the Elastix repository), etc, etc

3)One the update is finished, I like to reboot the box for safety. Next go into Freepbx and to Module Admin and make sure that all updated modules are upgraded and downloaded. This might require three passes to get them all upgraded.

That is it. I have literally perform hundreds of these updates, and never had one fail yet (except for one beta, which may have been my doing) on stable releases.

Regards

Bob

5. azmerlin

Thanks Bob, will try it out.

6. palillo

Hi,

I have just updated late yesterday my system from 1.1 to 1.2 with yum update command.

The important problem I got (I got other minor ones) is that Unicall is broken.

When I rebooted and then fixed the driver/loading for our mixed Sangoma A101 E1 card and Digium TDM4, then when I performed amportal start, I found that unicall won't load.

Checking logs I found that unicall won't load because of a undefined symbol found.

Sep 25 11:45:49] WARNING[15266] loader.c: Error loading module 'chan_unicall.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/chan_unicall.so: undefined symbol: uc_delete

I remember checking the yum update list and found that Unicall was not included.

Any help is appreciated.

I might have several things to try:

1. I can uninstall and reinstall by hand asterisk, spandsp, unicall, etc. This will be a real pain as we might not be able to yum update any more. The only advantage is that you can have control of what add-ons and even modify things like mfcr2.c and chan_unicall.c which I normally do. (The latest could still be done with source RPMs.

2. I might backup FreePBX, download 1.2, reinstall and restore from backup. Since this is a relatively new server, I prefer to update instead of re-install.

3. Fix it in place.

Best regards.

Andres Maduro

7. palillo

Hi,

I have found that the libunicall-0.0.3-21.src.rpm sources does not include a function called uc_delete and the latest asterisk-1.4.21.2-3.src.rpm source has a patch called asterisk-unicall3.patch which adds a call to uc_delete on chan_unicall.c

asterisk-unicall3.patch:+ /* Steve did not include uc_delete() so this is trusting a modified version of Unicall library and libmfcr2 */
    asterisk-unicall3.patch:+ uc_delete(tmp->uc);

I haven't download yet the Elastix-1.2 ISO image but if it was compiled with theses libraries probably the unicall stuff will be broken. If it is not broken, probably it was compiled with a patched libunicall.

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Regards,
    Andres Maduro

8. palillo

Hi I have just found that chan_unicall on latest asterisk build includes a patch which adds a uc_delete call. The problem is that libunicall does not have this function defined so I guess the libunicall was not updated and/or the online repository for src.rpms was not updated.

I have verified that the uc_delete was introduced on asterisk-1.4.21.2-3.src.rpm as it is not found on asterisk-1.4.19-1.src.rpm.

I have manually commented the uc_delete call under asterisk-unicall3.patch and now Unicall is working again.

asterisk-unicall3.patchx~:+ /* Steve did not include uc_delete() so this is trusting a modified version of Unicall library and libmfcr2 */
    asterisk-unicall3.patchx~:+ uc_delete(tmp->uc);

Please let me know if this issue is present on the new elastix-1.2 ISO and or be advised so you can verified it.

I am currently downloading it to verfy this situation.

Regards.

9. kentster

I receive the following error when attempting to upgrade from 1.1-6 with a Sangoma A200.

Error: Missing Dependency: zaptel = 1.4.10.1-2 is needed by package wanpipe-modules-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5

Any advice?

10. palillo

Hi,

I don't know if I had this issue but the startup scripts of wanpipe where missing after upgrade. I fixed this by hand by copying /etc/rc.d/init.d/wanrouter script from another installation of Elastix. One thing you can try is to download the rpm by hand and perform a force install.

You can find it on the Download section of this site and once downloaded perform a:

rpm -ivh --force file.rpm

Hope this helps.

Regards.
    Andres Maduro

11. azmerlin

Was the A200 problem solved, please elaborate :)

12. azmerlin

Bob hi,
    Well I did what you said just now and all looks OK, BUT ( I have not really tested yet though)
    in the top corner it still says ' About Elastix 1.1-6'
    This is after a reboot where I would expect it to say ....1.2, how can I make sure the upgrade worked ?
    Thanks

13. Bob

Bob

Azmerlin,

The fact that it says Elastix 1.1-6, means that all or part of the update did not function.

When you do a YUM update, it looks at several repositories and their mirrors. Your Centos updates come from one repository (but could be many different mirrors), where as your Elastix updates comes from another repository.

If for some reason the Elastix repository was having some issues, it will only partially do a YUM update, most likely just doing the Centos udpates.

A YUM update can also fail a transaction test, and again it may not install these if a transaction test fails.

It is safe to do a yum -y update again, and if it comes back with "Nothing to do" then you know that the updates have been applied. Otherwise it will try and pick up the updates again (or if they downloaded it will apply the updates again after it updates the one file it may have missed).

1 out 20 times, this happens, and you run a Yum update usually a few hours later or a day later and find that the repository/mirror is working again and all works perfect.

So again there is no issue running the yum update a few times to confirm all is done.

Regards

Bob

14. azmerlin

Bob hi,

I tried it again and though it seems to have a lot to do, at the end it simply says :
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: zaptel = 1.4.10.1-2 is needed by package wanpipe-modu les-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5
    [root@elastix ~]#
    and that is it, any idea ?

Thanks

15. rafael

16. bmacias

Hello azmerlin:

This error is caused by format name in the rpm sangoma have changed, you can this:

-Delete rpm wanpipe: rpm -e --nodeps wanpipe*
    -update : yum groupupdate "ElastixCore"

17. elastixguy3

Have same problem with my Sangoma A200:

Error: Missing Dependency: zaptel = 1.4.10.1-2 is needed by package wanpipe-modules-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5

bmacias, I tried both commands and both failed:

rpm -e --nodeps wanpipe* : says wanpipe version x.xxx is not installed, it actually seems it's partially removed but not totally. but this command wont remove the remainings :(

yum groupupdate "ElastixCore" : group ElastixCore does not exist