upgrade from 1.3-2 to current

Discussion in 'General' started by mattrh, May 9, 2009.

1. mattrh

so this weekend i was going to upgrade my server from 1.3-2 to the new release. here are my concerns.

i have a sangoma A102 using a T1/E1 for my voice. currently i am using a zap trunk "ZAP/g0". when i upgrade, what do i need to do? do i have to add a new trunk in freepbx? i am a little confused so help me out please.

i am sure i need to rerun the wanpipe diver setup as well right?

thanks for all the help.

2. ramoncio

If I were you I'd make a full backup of your current box hard drive - HD1 - before attempting any major upgrade. There is a script of mondoarchive that can make a full dvd backup of your Elastix, search the forum. When finished, recover the mondo backup into a different hard drive - HD2 -, so you always have HD1 untouched just in case anything breaks. Then try to do the yum upgrade in HD2 and if everything works ok then you can leave the new hard disk HD2 or perform the upgrade in your original HD1.

3. dicko

ramoncio:

A cautious reply :) , I personally would opine that given all the problems with 1.3 to 1.5 just don't do it until 1.5 gets out of the "gamma" stage, under the premise of "if it works it doesn't need fixing"(by my definition a gamma release is a "final" release that remains a little premature . . .) (sorry beta guys!), ok back to the Armagnac

4. ramoncio

This advice is just for the case that this is a production machine.
    Migrating from 1.3 to 1.5 might be problematic, and more if you use zaptel, because version 1.5 uses dahdi and I'd bet many problems can arise.

If it works => DON'T TOUCH IT!
    And if you touch it, you'd better have your back covered.

I can't understand how some people try to upgrade production machines happily, just because there is a new version out, and some of them don't have a full system backup, and get into DEEP TROUBLE.
    Making a full backup and restoring it into a new hard drive is something anyone should do, just for their peace of mind.

5. Lou1z

and its the easiest thing to do using mondo. i've tested modo numerous times on test machines and it works flawlessly using the "nuke" option.

6. mattrh

thank you all for the input. this server is currently unused and sitting on my rack. i was going to upgrade it to beta test and see how dahdi works. most of my server are backed up daily and imaged once a week. my backup plan is sound and has been working.

i understand that zaptel is gone in the new version because of the patent on the name but i am just starting to read how dahdi works and the differences. does freepbx support dahdi ?

7. DaveD

Yes Freepbx supports Dahdi

8. dicko

If it's sitting in a rack and unused then my guess this that you have no zap/dahdi hardware in it, under that condition go for it. The update only seems to break if you have any zap/dahdi hardware involved so far openvox sangoma and rhino seem broken or are in a state of being fixed, the dummy timer works for me though, (go figure!!)

9. asepulveda

First of all you must get a full backup , now the version 1.5.2.2 is release and is very stable , i already make 2 servers upgrade just making a yum update and no mayor issues appear , both servers are working fine and with dadhi. But i must say that before the update no sangoma or any card was installed in the server , so i cannot confirm you that after the update your cards still working

10. mattrh

Oh dicko, how you underestimate me, hahha. i have a clients server (they went under) with a sagoma A102 T1 card in in and i am a fool so i am using it as a test bed rather then selling it. haha. i have been lazy so i am looking to do the upgrade soon, so hopefully the dummy timers will work for me as well. Also sangoma just put out a new wanpipe driver so that might help. i will let you know

11. mattrh

asepulveda , thank you for your input! like i said everything is backed up 10 fold :). good to know about the new release, i am going to do the update soon, so i will let everyone know if i have any issues.

12. kspare

Upgrading is quite easy. Here are the steps i've been using:

yum clean all

yum -y update yum*

yum -y update glibc

service asterisk stop
    service wanrouter stop

yum -y update

reboot

service asterisk stop
    service wanrouter stop

yum -y update

wancfg_dahdi (Pick the option that stops asterisk and wanrouter but does not restart)

wanrouter start

dahdi_cfg

reboot

This should give you a nice clean upgrade.

13. asepulveda

After the uodate the TDM cards work fine? or you must make some config changes?