Upgrade breaks everything

Discussion in 'General' started by eleventeenth, Sep 13, 2007.

1. eleventeenth

Did a yum update today of our elastix system, instlled from an ISO.

Current installed versions are:

asterisk-perl-0.09-6
    elastix-mysqldbdata-0.8-0
    asterisk-1.4.11-1
    freePBX-2.2.3-12
    elastix-asterisk-sounds-1.2.2-1
    asterisk-addons-1.4.2-1
    asterisk-sounds-fr-1.4.11-1
    elastix-0.8-5.7
    elastix-a2billing-0.8-5
    asterisk-sounds-es-1.4.11-1
    elastix-additionals-0.8-5

After upgrade, everything was broken, and I mean everything. no calls could be placed, mail was down, webinterface did not show admin options (user management etc) and freepbx was nowhere to be seen (on the web interface).

Mail - relays had been overwritten.

To get the system back up, I copied over a paranoid back i took of the /etc/asterisk directory and restarted.

Web interface is still dead - the old admin user still does not get access to free pbx, user admin etc.

Put the interface in developer mode - freepbx and user admin were back. Tried changing admin user password, nothing. Tried adding another admin user, nothing.

Freepbx interface is showing all modules as broken. Trying to reinstall them via the link it gives results in all modules failing to download/be found.

help!

this is a live system, upgraded out of hours, so we cannot do a flatten and reinstall. We have a recent backup from the freepbx backup module.

2. eleventeenth

Right, after much debugging, here is a summary of what we did to get this working to a point of partial useability. please note that this is specific to our situation, but have noticed people having a lot of trouble with this upgrade. YMMV.

PROBLEM
    did a "yum update" out of hours on a live system. This upgraded elastix, asterisk and freepbx from the elastix repos. This broke mail, asterisk, elastix interface (admin user was no longer an admin user) and freepbx.

STEPS FOR TEMPORARY RESOLUTION
    This gives us a system in the following state:
    • can add new extensions
    • old extensions cannot be modified (submitting mods takes you to a non-css'd page and does nothing)
    • you need to access freepbx config using https://yourPBX/config.php?type=tool&display=modules - the "tools" link no longer exists
    • module admin seems a bit flakey. YOU CANNOT UPGRADE MODULES OR DOWNLOAD NEW ONES!
    • the freepbx interface is a little odd sometimes, with elastix elements appearing in strange places etc.
    • all else seems fine, except now you have a wide open system that is not very stable and is fudged to work. If you take developer mode off, you will not have access to admin features on the interface.

With the above, if desperate (like we are) you will have a useable system.

elastix devs: PLEASE,
    * can we have some feedback on why such an upgrade has caused such massive carnage to ours and other's systems?
    * How can it be fully rectified so our systems can be put back to a reliable, working state
    * how can we fix the admin account problems so we can take the system off of developer mode?

3. xmx

xmx

4. ronnyromero

is there a way to update an elastix install using yum update?

maybe we could change the .repo files info and yum.conf info with something that would let us update automatically whenever there is something we can safely update and not break down the server.

5. lordforbes

Eleventeenth

I take it there was no reply about how to get the Elastix/FreePBX system out of developer mode (i.e. able to see the main admin functions within the PBX menu???) I have the same problem. I have two systems side by side one with Freepbx 2.3 and the other untouched from Elastix 08.5 so I'll do some comparisons. Just wanted to see of someone had already fixed it...

6. eleventeenth

lordforbes,

nope no reply and we have had no success in getting the system back to a stable "like it was when it was a fresh install".

We are still working in dev mode, with Apache doing security for us.

Anything you find would be of great help, we are waiting for the next major release of Elastix, imaging the server then attempting an upgrade, hoping the problems will magically fix themselves.

At the moment we see no other alternative