Unusual MOH behavior - Elastix 2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by trymes, Sep 22, 2010.

1. trymes

OK, this will have to be brief, because I typed a long post, forgot to enter the code at the bottom, and lost the whole thing. Very frustrating forum configuration. The error upon entering the code badly at least ought to preserve your entry and let you enter the code again! (EDIT: There is no code to enter in Firefox, no wonder I forgot! Why it worked this time I do not know.)

Anyhow, I installed Elastix 2.0 and am readying it for roll-out to replace our old Trixbox system. In the process, I dialed into a queue and heard "Macroform-Robot-Dity.gsm" and went to the GUI to remove it. When I got to the Embedded MOH module, it showed only the three fpm files, nothing else. The Unembedded MOH module didn't show ANY files.

I located the files in the /var/lib/asterisk/moh folder, but I am wondering why the GUI does not match the underlying configuration, and how I can fix that.

Here is my musiconhold_additional.conf:

[default]
    mode=files
    directory=/var/lib/asterisk/moh/
    random=yes
    [none]
    mode=files
    directory=/var/lib/asterisk/moh/.nomusic_reserved

Also, I have updated via yum, and there are no new updates, but clicking on the "version" link in the GUI shows 2.0.0 not 2.0.1.

Tom

2. MST

MST

I have start playing with MOH and after fresh installation of 2.0 looks it is still buggy.....

I am curious if this is going to be fixed once and forever .....

3. trymes

Just use the unembedded MOH module in FreePBX; it works just fine. The only oddity there is that it shows the FPM files as being installed, but they are not. If you want the FPM files to be in your MOH setup, do this:

1.) Copy the three FPM files from /var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/ to your desktop. You can use a program like WinSCP to do this.
    2.) Copy the files from the /var/lib/asterisk/moh/ folder to your desktop as well.
    3.) Log in to Unembedded FreePBX (I would recommend that you ALWAYS use Unembedded FreePBX, as I see no benefit to the embedded stuff, but that's just me.)
    4.) Open the Music On Hold module
    5.) Delete the three FPM files that you see there.
    6.) Upload all of the files you want to have for MOH using the web interface
    7.) Click the Orange "You have made Changes" bar at the top and reload Asterisk.

That should be it. If any of the sound files are not in GSM or WAV format, the interface may not upload them, but I think Asterisk will still play them if they are in the /var/lib/asterisk/moh/ folder.

Tom

4. MST

MST

Thank You trymes for very detailed guide.

It works now.

Thank You

5. trymes

Awesome. Glad it worked out.

It would really be nice to see the Elastix devs develop a "skin" module or something that would allow them to make FreePBX "Look the part" and stop reinventing the FreePBX wheel. FreePBX is effective, stable, and Just Works in my experience.

I see the following downsides to the current setup:
    1.) Confusion between Embedded and Unembedded FreePBX.
    2.) Increased likelihood of bugs and errors.
    3.) Significantly increased development time required to rewrite, test, and maintain embedded modules distracts devels from other areas (updating HylaFAX, say).
    4.) Lag time between fixes and upgrades to Unembedded FreePBX appearing in PBXAdmin.
    5.) Things break if you perform a version upgrade in FreePBX Module Admin.
    6.) Users do not see all options available (such as "Asterisk SIP Settings" module) and use ill-advised workarounds.
    7.) Fewer options in embedded interface is limiting to advanced users.

I see the following benefits to the current setup:
    1.) More consistent User interface (colors, navigation bar across the top, etc).
    2.) Fewer options in embedded interface is less confusing to new users.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out in both areas, but I think that there must be a better way to achieve the benefits without incurring so many of the downsides.

I suppose that this is something best posted to the bug tracker where the developers might see it....

Tom

6. MST

MST

Thank You Tom again.

I don't want to steal your and main post about MOH. I have a problem with MOH random stream. Is it ok if I post it here or should I post new post?

Thank you

7. trymes

Definitely create a new thread, not because I care (I don't), but because you can create a descriptive subject line that will get the attention of those who know how to help you (I am not one of those people; I've never used streaming MOH)

My general rule of thumb is to start a new thread if the issue is at all different than the original post.

Good Luck!

Tom

PS: Have you tried setting streaming up using the Unembedded interface?

8. coryjsanders

Can you tell me the login to the Unembedded Free PBX. admin admin does not work for me in 2.0.

I have brought a new file into my var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/Classical It is a Brahms String Quartet in mp3. It plays in my 1.6 box. I have ownership set to asterisk asterisk for both the Classical dir and the file. Won't play MOH.

9. trymes

It should be the same as your pbxadmin password.

Have you updated via yum?

Tom

10. dicko

There are unresolved bugs in Elastix that prevent moh working correctly the Elastix FreePBX rpm does not follow the current FreePBX directives (in many ways :) ), please join the MOH party in the bug-tracker link posted below.

11. coryjsanders

Yes, and Now I've deleted my default songs. I've gone and shot myself the the wee wee.

12. coryjsanders

I don't see a bug tracker link.

13. dicko

You didn't look very hard ;) it's under the "Support" column at the bottom of this page.

14. trymes

Dicko,

Haven't the latest fixes from Elastix fixed this, though in a less than ideal manner? IIRC, they have set FreePBX to use the mohmp3 directory.

Although that's not ideal, it's at least works as expected, I believe. Or am I way off here?

Tom

15. trymes

Zoiks! that's gonna leave a mark!

16. dicko

I have no idea, I wouldn't touch Elastix 2.? with a bargepole on a production system. Does the almost daily

yum update

work for you yet? , it certainly leaves many unresolved bugs for me. revert to 1.6 it just still works, Elastix 2.? is IMHO still very broken.

JM2CWAE

dicko

17. trymes

It's solid as a rock, and I haven't updated in a while. The level of activity on updates seems to have come to a halt, AFAICT.

I might add, though, that I NEVER use the pbxadmin FreePBX. I only, only, ONLY use unembedded FreePBX, and I attribute my lack of problems <knocks on wood> to that fact (MOH, for example worked fine in unembedded, right out of the box).

I think that most of the issues with 2.0 have been bugs and problems introduced as part of the embedding process, which I see as silly. FreePBX is a super stable project and I do not see the upside to embedding, especially when considering the additional resources needed and additional opportunity for bugs to be introduced.

Call me crazy.

Tom

18. dicko

Tom,

If faxing, emailing, and MOH work for you and you can accept the limitations of the aged and insecure embedded FreePBX, then "Vaya con Dios" unfortunately these for me (and others) are "deal killers" as generally they don't in 2.? but did in 1.6.

regards

dicko

19. trymes

Well,

1.)Faxing works fine. Set up the Virtual Faxen and go. The nightly recap e-mail doesn't seem to include all of the day's activity, but I can handle that. It's an open bug in the tracker.
    2.) E-mail works fine, though we send through a separate e-mail server using SMTP AUTH. Elastix is not being used as a mail server, thoguh, so we do not use IMAP.
    3.) MOH is fine, using Unembedded FreePBX. I am also fairly certain that all of the outstanding MOH bugs have been fixed at this time.
    4.) How is Unembedded FreePBX any more or less "aged and insecure" than the pbxadmin interface?

Tom

20. coryjsanders

Tom, dicko, big smile on my face. First, the password to Unembedded was set my my pbx manufacturer. Took a few, but I got it. Second, big smile. I tried a different file. I think the one I was using was 14M, too big. Down to a 3.87M Beethoven's 8th 1st movement. Used WinSCP to get all the old crap out and she loaded fine and I hear music in my ears when I put a call on hold. Thanks to you both.