Trimming unnecessary applications - where?

christ0ph

Elastix is great, it's responsive and so far, works like a charm, its obviously a great tool!

But (sorry!) I need to turn some things off for a while while I get up to speed on the basics and get more RAM. I'm using 87% of my system memory at idle without any calls or messages. That makes me worry about stability under load.

I want to keep the core PBX, asterisk, fax. In the interest of stability in only 256MB of RAM I want to disable, reversibly, the email, a2Billing, IM and CRM functionality just for now.

Is there an obvious place to do this that I am overlooking?

Sometimes I overlook things that are just staring me in the face.

Thank you!

dwells

No offense, but you must be a windows user...(ME TOO! but not now...)

Linux doesn't show the RAM usage in the conventional Window$ way. If you are only using 87% of allocatable RAM then you have room to grow and there is no need to upgrade your RAM.

RAM is sort of reserved for use, by application so it shows high mem "usage" but if you did a "top" command you might see really only 1-3 processes actually running withing the system, the rest may be idle or not in use at all...But ready...

Depending on your CPU, a 711Ulaw call really only requires about 35MHz of usage per call built, so chunks of CPU, and Chunks of RAM are now in use by an ASTERISK PID(to which there could be MANY)... now you are using some of that allocated RAM.

I may not have explained it very well (like others can) but you don't need to stop things from running yet... Maybe IF you EVER have 100% RAM and better than 75% CPU usage 100% of the time...then upgrade your hardware...

(Others)Please feel free to critique my response and refine it a little better......I know what I mean...

ramoncio

Dwells is right.
And Openfire IM and CRM are disabled by default, if you don't configure and enable them they don't use any resource, only some hard disk space.
A2billing and postfix are enabled, but if you don't use them they don't use ram.
The same for cyrus-imapd, if you don't configure any domain it won't use resources.
You can have a look at the startup services with the console command "setup" and then "System services" you can enable/disable services there, but don't touch anything unless you are sure it is not needed.

dicko

JM2CW, but 256M is a bare minimum, it will handle most things fine for a few concurrent calls, they are CPU intensive not memory based.

BUT, recordings, and trans-coding (which need "buffer space" ) can force you into "swapping" to disk, the "sleeping" processes will be committed to disk, disk memory is orders of magnitude slower than ram, and even though linux is not wingrows, that swap can hurt.

With a nod to dwells, watch the top right bit of "top", 3 numbers there, they are a good measure of "usage" of your box, the first is one minute interval, the second 5 and the third 15 minutes, levels above 3.0 start to give me concern, more than 15 and you are screwed,especially in the second and third columns.

All the other numbers there are also very diagnostic, (ref: man top), the biggest culprit in your case will be the faxing (tiff2ps etc.), and you really don't want that to happen and preempt your VOIP.

Stability in linux is not usually a problem, it hates to die and it will just halt what it needs to to prevent that, your calls included.

I suggest a pragmatic diagnostic, Make a couple of calls and send and receive a fax concurrently, and watch top.

But maybe better, blow some cash and spend 5 bucks on another 256M stick (if you can find one :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manuelc