Transfer Elastix config between servers

Discussion in 'General' started by waricka, Oct 14, 2009.

1. waricka

Hi All,

Does anyone know if I can transfer config from one elastix box to another. The server types are different but the software version is the same. I just want to transfer extensions, trunks, etc.. over to the new server. Does hardware make a difference?

I also ask this question in case one of our elastix servers die. We have backups but how do we restore the data onto a replacement elastix server?

Thanks in advance!
    Warick

2. dicko

For Elastix, yes the backup/restore works between machines if they have the same software load, Freepbx un-embedded has a backup/restore which can be scheduled easily, but doesn't do all of Elastix, just the FreePBX stuff, also version specific.

Another poster here, mkoreen (regards ;) ) has posted a more complete script on these fora, she seems to have got a much more complete backup thing going.

As to bare metal backup/restore, look into mondoarchive, it is functionally largely flawless.
    (If you go that mondo route, I suggest you should add TERM=vt100 to the ADDITIONAL_BOOT_PARAMS in /usr/sbin/mindi if you value your eyesight, and have at least a rudimentary understanding of vi .)

3. Patrick_elx

So far I was unlucky with mondo.

The automated backup is working fine, but the restore part is a mess. I tried a few times without success so far. I wish I could make it work properly.

As bare metal backup I'm using clonezilla that worked flawlessly for me for the last year. The only concern is that you can't automated it as you need to shut down your pbx for 30 minutes to do the backup.

4. dicko

By default Elastix will be LVM based,

If the hardware is not exactly the same, you will have to either build it again at the "expert" shell before you do the mondorestore. or make a flat file system to suit. A little knowledge of grub, fstab and mtab and your there

The "messy" display is fixed with the TERM=vt100 fix (or export TERM=vt100 at the shell)

5. Patrick_elx

I was trying to do a mondorestore on the exact same hardware without success...
    But I'm not really linux literate either :-(

6. waricka

Thanks for the assistance! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Bare metal backup/restore seems a little outside my current knowledge and confidence with elastix/asterix/Linux. It's something that I will definitely visit in the future and you both have pointed me in the correct direction..thanks again!