tail of tftp and location

Discussion in 'General' started by coryjsanders, Jun 4, 2010.

1. coryjsanders

I want to tail the output of my tftp and see the same thing I do with a Pumpkin or similar. I've tried the tail -f /var/log/maillog command I've found here and it doesn't work. Also, my /tftpboot/ resides in my root directory. I thought it was supposed to be in /etc. The boys at PaloSanto told me it is important to have ownership of the files in /tftpboot/ set as asterisk. I did a chown asterisk:asterisk <filename>, and they showed intead of root root, asterisk asterisk, at one point, but they changed back!

1. how do I tail the output of my tftp on my Elastix box
    2. any idea why the ownership changed on its own?

Thanks.

2. dicko

logs are generally in /var/log/

maillog is for mail messages (co-incidentally)

add -vv to the server arguments for the tftp server in /etc/xinet.d/tftp and the verbosity will be increased (-vvvvvvvvvv if you want, but that would be stupid) and be sent to /var/log/messages

As long as the files in /tftpboot have read permission for asterisk than it's not a problem, I have no idea what process is changing it back. Check your cron jobs.

What the hell has pumpkins to do with anything? :)

3. coryjsanders

My Pumkin is a stinky old two-headed squash I use to transfer data back and forth. Scoop it out of head and dump it in another. What is up with this new site? It rocks! Thanks, guys.

4. coryjsanders

dicko. Help me out. Below is what is in tftp. To get to my /tftpboot/ I type cd /tftpboot My /tftpboot/ is in root When I type tail-f /var/log I get tail: error reading `/var/log/': Is a directory
    tail: /var/log/: cannot follow end of this type of file; giving up on this name
    tail: no files remaining

socket_type = dgram
    protocol = udp
    wait = yes
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
    server_args = -svv /tftpboot
    disable = no
    per_source = 11
    cps = 100 2
    flags = IPv4

5. dicko

indeed, that directory is where most logs are

ls -lasrt /var/log

and

tail /var/log/secure

tail -f /var/log/messages

(-f to follow, ctrl-c to stop that)

cat /var/log/maillog|grep -i spam

tail /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log

etc. for the individual files

TFTPD:

server_args = -s -c -vv /tftpboot

( -s so it serves, not -w but -vv (two v's) for being a little verbose, -c so the phones can write (create) to an existing directory (be careful there) and /tftpboot the directory you will serve files out of)

and a /etc/init.d/xinit restart

for shits and grins.

dicko