System Shuts down after NIC Link is Down

Discussion in 'General' started by Aries007, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Aries007

I have been having this issue with one of my client's installation for past two weeks.

For some reason, the server shuts down automatically. I went through the log file (message) and the last message which is displayed before system goes down is:
    v2 kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog_task: NIC Link is Down

the problem started to happen about two weeks ago. There was nothing changed or updated on this system so it is quite puzzling for me. I haven't been able to figure out why this happening.

Since yesterday afternoon, the system restarted three times at night.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

2. rafael

Not sure, but it seems to be a hardware issue. You may start by testing another nick card.

Regards,

Rafael

3. Bob

Bob

Aries007,

As Rafael said, the quickest and easiest way is to add a different NIC Card.

The E1000 is prone to heat related issues on some system designs, and we have had one do the same on one of our test systems many months ago. We replaced it with a RealTek 8139 (one we had hanging around). Never had a problem since.

You will also find the most common card with that particular error on the net is the E1000.

If you have already checked your cables (Cat 6 I assume), and switched ports on the switch, or shut the port on the switch down to 100Mb (if possible), then this would be the next step....

Regards

Bob

4. Aries007

Thank you for your recommendations and I have ruled out everything else. Now I'll change the network card on Monday. I'll report back my results.