Synchronized to:

Discussion in 'General' started by Amphibian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Amphibian

If some one could remind me why I keep seeing the following under /var/log/messages:

Sep 12 19:47:49 pbx ntpd[2121]: synchronized to 169.229.70.64, stratum 2
    Sep 12 19:47:49 pbx ntpd[2121]: synchronized to 216.45.57.38, stratum 2

I would sure appreciate it.

I think I know what it is but no absolutely sure. I know that it is a protocol for a time server synch, what I'm not sure about is the IP addresses are continuously different. Why?

And, why do I need a time synch? If not needed where can I disable this function - is it in the kernel or is it a function of Elastix that is changeable?

Thanks

Amphibian

2. dicko

It's a good thing, ntpd = "network time protocol daemon" it is just saying it's working with the upstream time servers. They have Cesium clocks, you probably still use a timex, I still use a sun-dial.

when in doubt, use

whois <IP.Address>

if that doesn't work do a

yum install -y jwhois

(Apparently it's not included in the base install, go figure)

3. Amphibian

Is it really necessary? Without it will Elastix not function?? I don't run it on web servers or other servers I have running.

4. dicko

hehe

not necessary at all, just run

chkconfig ntpd off;service ntpd stop

and you will never see those messages again, you will however have to set the date from you timex every few days or eventually many internet servers will stop talking to you because your clock is wrong by too many seconds, and they won't accept your veracity any more, most likely your emails will be rejected first, then possibly others will, it will take a long time for the time drift to hit, unless your battery goes flat, but I suggest you just accept those annoying messages instead and be compliant.

dicko

5. Amphibian

Thanks Dicko,

Not a prob on accepting the annoying messages, I just figured it might cut down on some IP traffic, I understand now why it is being used will leave it alone (lol).

By the way do you use the IRC chat much and if so have you ever used "Empathy" to do it?

Later, and again, thanks for ur knowledge.

Amphibian

6. dicko

hehe,

no I don't go to irc #elastix much, I go there occasionally but I'm afraid it's largely spammed by complete morons, with the exception on n3glv and a couple of occasional other knowledgables, it does occasionally make me laugh my ass off though. #freepbx can be equally entertaining but many there are grumpier than I, and the idiocy acceptance level is way lower. so in one case boring by silence, and in the other boring by noise.

dicko
    udp:123 (ntp) traffic about 28 bytes every few hours depending on you, don't sweat it.

7. Amphibian

Thanks Dicko,

irc, kinda was thinking the same thing after listening for a while.

Have a great day.

Amphibian