Survey - Interested in anyone with Blank GUI's

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob

I believe there has been too much generalisation with the Blank GUI issue.

On one side we have those that are not having any problems with 2.0.3, which included me (10 or so PBX systems with no issues).

On the other side we have others that are having the issues and in many cases not being able to resolve it.

Today, I was working with a piece of hardware that I normally don't use, and I came up with the blank GUI issue (I also noted some other issues as well in relation to Dahdi)... and also some errors around the MYSQL scripts.

While I did not have the appropriate time to really diagnose well (I may do in a few days) as it was need to complete a some time critical testing of an E1 line.

So, if you are having problems and the Password issue is not your issue, if you can answer the following questions, it might help lead us somewhere.....

1) What Version are you using - version and ISO date if possible & whether 32bit or 64 Bit.
    2) Are you using SATA or IDE hard drive(s)
    3) What is the Chip set used for the SATA (e.g. Intel ICH6, ICH7, ICH8, ICH9 etc) - Do an LSPCI at the linux prompt to locate this info
    4) Are you using a USB CD/DVD drive or Internal (Sata or IDE) to install Elastix ISO or NFS etc
    5) CPU - e.g. Celeron, PentiumM, Pentium, Xeon
    6) What Comms Card (e.g. Digium TE122P, Digium 410P, Sangoma A102, None)
    7) When you installed, did it come up saying unable to download the kickstart file. If it did, did you press ok a few times, or did you cancel and try for an interactive driver setup?? (this is an important question).
    8) What was your main issue (NO GUI at all,GUI from Freepbx only, Tab missing only???

Hope this may lead to resolving this issue, which as I said, there have been too many generalisations, and I have found this issue on 2.0.1 as well..

As this issue is not all that common, I will be reading this regularly to see any new entries, at least for the next month or so.

Regards

Bob

2. zaritronic

Here is my reply to your Survey. Rgds, Aron
    --------------------------------------------------------

1) What Version are you using - version and ISO date if possible &
    whether 32bit or 64 Bit.

> Elastix-2.0.3-i386-bin-15Nov2010.iso 32-bit

> 2*IDE with software RAID-1

3) What is the Chip set used for the SATA (e.g. Intel ICH6, ICH7, ICH8, ICH9 etc) -
    Do an LSPCI at the linux prompt to locate this info

> output of lspci
    ------------------------------
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0204
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 1204
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 2204
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 4204
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800 South]
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800 South]
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)
    ------------------------------

4) Are you using a USB CD/DVD drive or Internal (Sata or IDE)

> (I assume you're asking about where the installation media was)
    I'm using the ISO kit mounted via NFS

> AMD Duron 1.1GHz

> Digium TDM400P

7) When you installed, did it come up saying unable to download the kickstart file.
    If it did, did you press ok a few times, or did you cancel and try for an
    interactive driver setup?? (this is an important question).

> The installation went fine without a hick. In fact at the end of it, and after
    I converted to software RAID-1, I could see all the tabs OK.
    The issue appeared only after I performed the following command + reboot:
    ------------------------
    # yum groupinstall \
    "GNOME Desktop Environment" \
    "Graphical Internet" \
    "Office/Productivity" \
    "Printing Support" \
    "Server Configuration Tools" \
    "X Window System"
    ------------------------

8) What was your main issue (NO GUI at all,GUI from Freepbx only, Tab missing only???

> Missing tabs only. Only the "System" tab was visible

3. Bob

Bob

Thanks Aaron, your answers are perfect.

And you assumed correct on the USB CD or internal CD question (updated original post).

Just for anyone's interest, I have come across a second system (relatively new Intel board), exhibiting same issues. I believe I am coming close to finding an issue with the installation script on particular hardware configurations, but will perform more research first.

Regards

Bob

4. paboj0493

Hi everyone. These are the anwser of your questions based on our system:

1) What Version are you using - version and ISO date if possible & whether 32bit or 64
    Bit.

we used Elastix-2.0.3-i386-bin-15Nov201….isoalso
    Elastix-2.0.2-i386-bin-23Aug201….iso all 32 bits and same issue.

SATA Drive for Notebooks

3) What is the Chip set used for the SATA (e.g. Intel ICH6, ICH7, ICH8, ICH9 etc) - Do an LSPCI at the linux prompt to locate this info

ICH8 and no use LSPCI. I refferred to the manufacturer specs .

4) Are you using a USB CD/DVD drive or Internal (Sata or IDE) to install Elastix ISO or NFS etc

We used and External HP CD/DVD drive

Intel ATOM N450 1.66 Ghz

At the moment no card.

7) When you installed, did it come up saying unable to download the kickstart file. If it did, did you press ok a few times, or did you cancel and try for an interactive driver setup?? (this is an important question).

Yes the message were displayed and i chose Cancel and try Interactive Driver setup.

Nothing was displayed when we put the IP address in the WEB browser. Its like if not web service or page are available.

Hope its help.

Regards

José Pabón

5. dicko

linux is case sensitive, please post the output of:

lspci

from the bash prompt (command line), NOT LSPCI

It will tell you to list (ls) the pci hardware (pci), this is VERY helpful :)

(good luck Bob, still no usbstorage driver after all these years, believe me I tried to get them to add it, never mind the normal simple ethernet ones in the current Centos 5 kernel it was supposedly derived from, WTF? please get them to use a reasonable modern kernel! or allow them to keep on distributing an age old and broken syslinux kernel, and watch the complaints. There is really no brain surgery involved here :) :) A fully functional and up to date Centos syslinux kernel and a well constructed kickstart file, and you really can't go wrong, no? )

6. zaritronic

Bob,

Have you managed to progress on this issue? Any target date for a release that fix it?
    Thanks,

Aron

7. tony_macaroni

Hi.
    After installing
    (according to http://www.elastix.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... om_centos5, but changing the version)....

Just had the doubt if I should do yum -y --nogpgcheck ... in

cd /mnt/elastix-cd/Elastix or cd /mnt/elastix-cd

anyhow after installing, I get an "Unable to connect" page.

what can I do?
    The lspci returns:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrate
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 0
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 0
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bri
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (re
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (re
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI E

br

8. zaritronic

Hi guys,

I've just installed Elastix 2.0.4-64-bit Beta and got the same behaviour.

I'm not sure how should we interpret the silence on this issue since.

I haven't seen a solution provided elsewhere, although it could still be my search skills needing improving. In that case it would be appreciated if somebody can kindly point me to the right discussion. Thanks.

A.

9. zaritronic

I've never managed to have a working Elastix 2.0.x installation. Until now, that is.

With the hope of helping those amongst us being hit by some or all of the same issues, I'm writing down my notes to arrive to a working installation.

A.
    ==============================

While attempting to get a working Elastix 2.0.x I've encountered the following issues:

1. Most of the module are not installed with the Anaconda installation – this can be checked dumping the menu’s bar sqlite3 database and verifying whether all the entries are there,
    2. Clicking on the PBX tab displays a white page, and if error display is enabled in php.ini then a message is displayed about a function being called with an invalid argument,
    3. Clicking on module PBX or module Unembedded FreePBX displays the error:
    Undefined index: display in /var/www/html/admin/modules/fax/functions.inc.php on line xx.
    4. Clicking on module PBX displays the error:
    Notice: Undefined index: 1 in /var/www/html/admin/modules/fax/functions.inc.php on line xxx
    5. Within the PBX module an error is shown in relation to FAX license.
    =======================
    To fix the issue related to packages not being installed, I got a copy of the ks_default.cfg installation file from the distribution kit, then I extracted the package names out of it.
    In practical terms I copied all non blank lines between the line containing %packages and the line containing %post into a shell script in such a way to perform a yum localinstall of the listed packages out of the RPM s provided by the distribution.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    The PBX module showing a white page issue is due to the asteriskuser password not being set correctly in mysql.
    To correct this issue, perform the following steps:
    1. mysql –u root -p provide the password you specified at installation time,
    2. use mysql,
    3. select Host, User, Password from user; - this lists accounts and their passwords,
    4. UPDATE user SET PASSWORD='<pwd-value-md5>' WHERE (Host='localhost' AND User='asteriskuser');, where the password value is the same string for the root user,
    5. service mysqld restart
    There are few postings addressing it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    The error message:
    Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/admin/functions.inc.php on line xxx
    Is addressed here http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kun ... astix.html where it is said that it is corrected by forcing the argument to array, therefore

foreach ((array) $amp_conf_defaults as $key=>$arr) {

fix the issue.

With Elastix 2.0.3 more of the same issue + same solution at:
    /var/www/html/admin/modules/callforward/functions.inc.php line 64
    /var/www/html/admin/modules/findmefollow/functions.inc.php line 31
    /var/www/html/admin/modules/donotdisturb/functions.inc.php line 47
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    The error message:
    Invalid index: 1 in /var/www/html/admin/modules/fax/functions.inc.php
    Is addressed here
    http://bugs.elastix.org/view.php?id=933 and requires freePBX-2.8.1-3.noarch.rpm
    which implies Elastix 2.0.4
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    No fix yet for the error related to FAX license.
    See this posting: http://bugs.elastix.org/view.php?id=872

10. Mahesha

Hi Bob, hi everyone,

few months ago I tried unsuccessfully to install Elastix 2.0.3 32 bit, but I was always left at the end of installation with out pbx menus, I just had system and user management tab.
    Today I tried again with the same result- but finally I understand where was problem (with Elastix 1.6 never had this issues).
    I was doing my installation with USB CD drive, and at the beginning of installation I had "unable to download the kickstart file" but I would just skip this- and that was problem, because of skipping kickstart file- SE linux was not disabled during installation and I think that mess up installation.
    This time, I put kickstart file on web server, at the begining of installation changed to:
    http://xx.xx.xx.xx/ks_default.cfg
    and everything worked like charm! If I only knew this before, I spend hours trying to fix this. Hope this will help somebody. Now I have to test Elastix 2.0.3 itself ;)

11. zaritronic

missing tabs issue also with 2.2.0 rc2 64-bit

I've just installed Elastix-2.2.0-rc2-x86_64-bin-01sep2011.iso on same hardware as above and I still get the missing tabs issue.

A.

12. Bob

Bob

Re:missing tabs issue also with 2.2.0 rc2 64-bit

Zaltronic,

Are you seeing the request for the kickstart file as per the last post from Mahesha?

Regards

Bob

13. zaritronic

Bob,

I did not experience what Mahesha reports in his comment, unless the message scrolls rapidly across the screen not giving me time to read it.

What I'm sure of is that it doesn't ask me whether I want to skip it (i.e. the lack of the kickstart file) or end the installation.

As it is standardised practice in my environment I always install over NFS.

To me the fact that it's installing "something" it means that the installation procedure is able to access the kit over NFS, hence it should be able to see the kickstart file the same ways as it is able to access all other installation files.

In any case, I'll see what I can do to check it more thoroughly during my next installation during the w-e, if I manage to find the 2.2 RC3 somebody referred to in a different post of mine.

A.

14. zaritronic

Bob,

I've just installed Elastix 2.2-rc3 and taken pictures of all instances of the installation just before hitting the <CR> key.

I confirm not having seen anything untoward during the installation, as you can see from the attached PDF.

A.

15. zaritronic

I'm sorry but the file doesn't get uploaded because is too big.
    To get the fie, pls send me an e-mail.
    A.