Store recorded calls on an external storage system

Discussion in 'General' started by Mathiau, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Mathiau

We have a decent server for our Elastix system a dell poweredge 2850, dual Xeon 3.6Ghz, 4G of ram and 3 76g 15k SCSI drives, total storage is only 136G or so..

i know recorded phone calls could take up some good room, i can get some larger SCSI drives, but i already have a windows based storage system with 3T of room on it, so wondering if it is possible to have recorded calls saved to a system outside of the Elastix server?

2. dicko

On the general settings page you can relocate the "recording location" to any file system mounted on your box.

If you trust a cifs/samba mounted system and it has the right permissions for user asterisk, then use it, I see one major problem, (the problem is when windows crashes/reboots (usually 3:00 am every billgatesday :) ) the mountpoint usually goes brain dead the mount-point and eventually the asterisk recording system might well lock up), look into using "autofs" to manage such a situation. (or preferably use a real OS/NAS :) )

dicko

3. Mathiau

cant say i have the problem with windows, all our servers are windows based and only go down if our small UPS go out from a power outages (joys of doing business in central america!)

and since i am using a domain based network the system is a windows build already, so windows is what i will be sticking with, for now, i do have another system i plan to move to linux for storage to get more performance from the hard drives vs the crappy Adaptec controller that is on it.

Good to know, saves me spending about &$1500 for some 146G 80pin SCSI drives :D

4. dicko

Then it won't be a problem your mount point will be available 100% of the time.
    (I might note you are the first person I've met that claims they can do that ;) with microsoftware)

regards

dicko (maybe I'm cynical, but once bitten . . . .)

5. Mathiau

i wont deny windows has it flaws, to say the least, our main application servers have gone for as much as 278 days was the time on one of them, and was only rebooted cause of a code change in the application and to do some maintanance.

I think for many, the windows issues, are user error, bad programs, wrong drivers and so on, usually something the end user did.

As said all of our windows box, 3 of them run just MySQL servers, perhaps it is because i have never really over stressed a windows box with alot of work.

6. dicko

:) :) :)

278 days of MS !! wow, I'm impressed,

"usually something the end user did"

In my experience it's usually something that microsoft did that causes the crashes and needs the updates, YMMV of course, to me MS are the bane of my life, but I guess you gotta live with them.

however CIFS/SAMBA without autofs's nursing has been in my experience a problem that is just waiting to happen. (and yes, I've been there in spades)

JM2CW as ever

7. Mathiau

knowing me then, this will be the one time that windows will screw up on me, while on vacation or something and none of the customer support calls will record..LOL

8. dicko

:) :)

I don't know you well yet, I hope that changes

however, you could could probably use unionfs as a belt and braces approach behind autofs, but a reliable mount point for the recordings is kind of necessary, in my experience mixmonitor (the underlying application behind recordings) is IMHO diagnostically ADD.

my personal preference is to leave the recordings local, then post process to normalize the levels,lookup up the uniqueid in asteriskcdrdb to get the call length, destination and source, trim out the ringing by callsecs - billsecs , convert to mp3 and id3tag them to suit, THEN move them to off line storage.

dicko

9. Mathiau

you got me now, everything you said lost me..LOL all this PBX systems is new territory to me (but loving it! nice to excercise the brain)

what about a system where it records to the Elastix server, could i have it then dump the recordings when done off to the windows box perhaps...or i could set the windows box to pull of a share.

10. dicko

already largely covered, I edited my previous post.